[p2p-research] Google to tear down social networking walls

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 18:06:11 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/public-surpport-for-value-creation-through-the-commons-4-principles-and-3-institutions/2008/07/17
>
> Here’s my proposal, *a set of 3 interlocking institutions, each with its
> own complementary mission and objectives*:
>
> *1) Institute for the Protection and Development of the Commons*
>
> This is an institution that effectively supports the creation and
> maintenance of the commons,
>
> A) by diffusing knowledge about the legal and institutional means of
> creating and protecting them.
>
> B) by creating a supportive infrastructure of cooperation that facilitates
> the creation of commons-oriented initiatives by those who have more
> difficulties accessing such necessary infrastructure
>
> Example: the policies of the French city of Brest, led by Michel Briand
>
> C) by maintaining relations with, and supporting the operation and
> maintenance of the for-benefits institutions that are most often associated
> with commons oriented initiatives
>
> *2) Institute for Open Business*
>
> This institution supports the creation of market value in cooperation with
> the Commons, in ways that are compatible and do not deplete commons-based
> value creation. Typically, this is the kind of Institution that would
> support open source software businesses, open textbook publishers, etc.. and
> support young and starting enterpreneurs who want to engage in such.
>
> Example: the OSBR.Ca in Toronto
>
> *3) Institute for Benefit-Sharing and Commons Recognition*
>
> This institution focuses on patronage and various forms of support that do
> not destroy the peer to peer logic of voluntary contributions.
>
> A) It creates a priori prizes, awards, bounties to support individuals
> involved in commons-based value-creation
>
> B) in cooperation with the companies (stimulated by previous open business
> institute), it stimulates benefit-sharing practices from companies that
> profit from commons created value. It acts as a meta-regular for such
> practices, identifying weak spots and stimulating solutions for them.
>
> C) it creates a posteriori patronage arrangements for individuals with a
> proven record in commons-based value creation
>
> D) it studies and proposes policies for the overall stimulation of
> commons-based value creation
>
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/public-surpport-for-value-creation-through-the-commons-4-principles-and-3-institutions/2008/07/17
> On 2/27/09, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:

My question:  how can non-government groups of people interested in
fomenting these types of infrastructures locally start to do it?  I believe
that government in many areas of United States will not do these things,
because the nature of governments is too hierarchical, and too connected to
servicing profit/growth systems.

Local, regional, federal governments are more concerned with rescuing
collapsing economies and industries than starting new ones (here in the US).