[p2p-research] present and future

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:39:05 CEST 2009

Thanks, Michel.  David Gurteen, Dave Snowden and others who run in that pack
are old acquaintances of mine.  Jon Husband's Wirearchy is an excellent blog
in that space...

Snowden is sort of a British Clay Shirky.  Very smart, but smart in the
peculiar way of saying very elemental things that are surprisingly
insightful over long periods--like Shirky.  Not many people have such
wisdom.  It is almost a naive legitimacy founded in simply mulling things
over deeply again and again.

Billing I have known of but do not follow.  I have not heard of Patricia
Benner.

Certainly there is nothing here I disagree with.  I still wonder whether the
only real theory worth a damn doesn't come from tinkering with real
problems.  Even someone as theoretical as Einstein supposedly worked almost
exclusively with mental models of reality (thought experiments).

I read today where the E. F. Shumacher Foundation gets 43,000 hits a day on
Berkshire Bucks or BerkBucks.  Do those guys have a theory of their
success?  Or a theory about money?  I suppose success in application
doesn't guarantee theoretical insight.

I do find myself most on the side of those who address real problems of real
people today.  If those problems are intractable, all the better.  The older
I get the less stock I put in large pools of theory--perhaps one reason why
economics and political philosophy are so dull to me now when once I found
them so very essential.

Ryan