[p2p-research] Historical anti-materialism

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 01:10:00 CEST 2009

Stan,

By definition, any private good is a rival good.  A non-rival good is, by
definition, public and non-material.  What is material is not always clear,
but ideas even if written down are probably always non-material.  However,
some public, non-material goods can be rival goods as is well understood.

A public idea can never be a rival good.  Writers produce so-called public
ideas.  Any code is a rival good if someone says it is private.  Rival and
private are very nearly synonyms in intellectual property.

Frankly, I'm not sure what rival and non-rival--basic microeconomic
ideas--has to do with anything.

Stallman is a good if ill man.  He is quite capable of nihilism and I have
been in the room when he spews it.  But my point was not about Stallman.  My
point was about absurdity and the anti-market tedium that really, to my
mind, has nothing whatsoever to do with P2P.

Ryan