[p2p-research] Historical anti-materialism

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:57:23 CEST 2009

Ryan, I can't find much to agree with in the email thread, but wanted to
comment regarding Stallman:

First, Stallman usually does not comment on "intellectual property" outside
of software patents and copyright.  On occasion he makes general statements,
but we should consider his perspectives about other areas "loose," while his
perspectives on software are quite focused.

Second, this statement is unclear, if not incorrect: "He suggests that
anyone should be able to be paid so long as the borders and boundaries they
create are not destructive."  In this context "should be able to be paid"
suggests some sort of obligation others have to the creator, or idealistic
scenario.  Stallman says nothing about being "able to be paid," only asking
to be paid, wanting to be paid, and wanting to maximize income; an important
distinction.  Again, this is within the explicit context of programming.

Third, since Stallman's statement was offered in the context of programming,
your statements about rival goods and services such as universities, eating
and sleeping, and so on, are outside the scope of his comment.

Fourth, Stallman's software philosophy is fairly simple and consistent:
people should be free to share and use software.  Since others disagree, and
possess the legal means to exclude, Stallman created a legal wrapper to
apply his philosophy to all software he writes by securing the freedom to
use and share that software.  He strongly encourages everyone to consider
his philosophy of software freedom, and use the legal tools created to
secure that freedom, whether user or programmer.

To accuse Stallman of "nihilism" should be a huge red flag indicating
hyperbole.  Stallman is the father of P2P software production, with very
clear and outspoken P2P values of voluntary contribution and software
commons-safeguarding.  He put his labor where his mouth was, and continues
to do so, with significant results.

-- Stan