[p2p-research] Historical anti-materialism

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:35:27 CEST 2009

 Stallman also wrote the following before them...
**

*“Shouldn't a programmer be able to ask for a reward for his creativity?”*

There is nothing wrong with wanting pay for work, or seeking to maximize
one's income, as long as one does not use means that are destructive. But
the means customary in the field of software today are based on destruction.

Extracting money from users of a program by restricting their use of it is
destructive because the restrictions reduce the amount and the ways that the
program can be used. This reduces the amount of wealth that humanity derives
from the program. When there is a deliberate choice to restrict, the harmful
consequences are deliberate destruction.
The reason a good citizen does not use such destructive means to become
wealthier is that, if everyone did so, we would all become poorer from the
mutual destructiveness. This is Kantian ethics; or, the Golden Rule. Since I
do not like the consequences that result if everyone hoards information, I
am required to consider it wrong for one to do so. Specifically, the desire
to be rewarded for one's creativity does not justify depriving the world in
general of all or part of that creativity.

_____

He suggests that anyone should be able to be paid so long as the borders and
boundaries they create are not destructive.  But then isn't all admissions
to universities destructive by such logic?  Isn't any barrier to any given
use by anyone destructive in the same thread?  Shouldn't we all be able to
sleep where we want and eat whatever is grown?  If maximum use is the
criteria of value, then any restriction on any property is
absurd--intellectual or not.  Surely professors don't own their research
notes, their journal articles, their books or their lectures.  And the idea
of security on all machines should be given over to simply a write-only
problem--everything everywhere should be readable so that it can be used!
And no one need cite another author because that limits value!

Aren't all books and journals that are not open to any publication or
viewing destructive?  Isn't the failure to share any thought or idea that
might have value to anyone a failure by such standards?  Stallman's writing
suggests the absence of intellectual property--not the freedom to share.

Once again, nihilism and fantasy instead of logic, responsibility and
sharing.  P2P deserves better.