[p2p-research] Historical anti-materialism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 11:00:58 CEST 2009

Hi Christian,

I think that Ryan uses materialism in the 'conventional' sense, and there
anti-materialist, in the sense of "not focused on material things" but on
other, more ethical and ideal aspects of life,

while you use it in the classic philosophical sense, which really has the
opposite meaning, materialism meaning, 'rooted in the material world'

In this sense, Marxism sees phenomena as rooted in the material world, but
is anti-materialist in the sense that life is not about accumulating
material goods ...

Michel

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Christian Siefkes <christian at siefkes.net>wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Ryan Lanham wrote:
> > I agree with much of what you say, but I increasingly think the linkage
> > conventional Neo-Marxism may prove the undoing of P2P theory.
>
> Now I'm surprised. How come you classify "conventional Neo-Marxism"
> (whatever that may be) as "anti-materialist"? Marx' theory is one of the
> most explicitly and outspokenly *materialist* theories ever developed...
>
> > What I see developing amongst the Neo-Marxists is not an inclusive
> theory.
> > It is a controlling theory. It must, like a religion, be the only way.
>  It
>
> Well, I can't help but noting that the only one who prescribes what
> *should,* dogmatically, be allowed and not allowed when discussing about
> peer production, is *you.*
>
> Best regards
>        Christian
>
> --
> |-------- Dr. Christian Siefkes --------- christian at siefkes.net ---------
> |   Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/   |   Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
> |   Better Bayesian Analysis:           |   Peer Production Everywhere:
> |   http://bart-project.com/            |   http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
> - "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."
> - "Look, I'm a computer programmer. I don't have time for girls, but a
>  talking frog is very cool."

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com