[p2p-research] Why Post-Capitalism is Rubbish

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:20:08 CEST 2009

thanks Christian,

but it would take a whole radical step to re-introduce that particular logic
for the whole of the economy ...

perhaps this is a interesting question for you: do you believe we don't need
a transitional economy?

if not, why not

if yes, then isn't that something to be tackled specifically in a political
theory for a commons ...

this is what some people, myself included, want to work on, when we say that
existing peer production will inevitably need to co-exist with a equitable
market ...

I personally think we can outgrow eventually both market and state, but only
at the hypothetical end of a long history of development ...

Since that may never occur,  hybridity is an important feature for the
unforeseeable future

hence the key question: what kind of hybridity is most conducive for p2p
ethics and how to bring it about,

Michel

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Christian Siefkes <christian at siefkes.net>wrote:

> Michel,
>
> Michel Bauwens wrote:
> > are you claiming that your weighted effort sharing scheme has already
> > been applied?
>
> No, that's not what I mean. (Though I've heard some anecdotal evidence of
> effort weighting between people sharing an apartment -- when housekeeping
> tasks are divided up, those that agree to do an ugly tasks might may less
> do than the others.)
>
> What I meant when talk about a "commons- and pool-based mode of production"
> is that resources and means of production are commons (that belong to the
> community as a whole, not to any particular individual or group of
> individuals) and that tasks as well as output are divided up, either
> formally or informally. That was probably the case in many hunter-gatherer
> societies--what you call "communal shareholding," I believe.
>
> Best regards
>        Christian
>
> --
> |-------- Dr. Christian Siefkes --------- christian at siefkes.net ---------
> |   Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/   |   Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
> |   Better Bayesian Analysis:           |   Peer Production Everywhere:
> |   http://bart-project.com/            |   http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
> Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property,
> is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or
> of those who have some property against those who have none at all.
>        -- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations (1776)

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com