[p2p-research] Open Source Design Hydrogen Car

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 04:44:40 CEST 2009

This is what we have on open source vehicles, thanks for sending any updates
if you see anything missing:

Mobility: Vehicles

   1. AeroModeller2 <http://www.aeromodeller2.be/page1.htm>: research into
   an autonomous self-generating hydrogen-bvased zero-emission low-cost
   low-tech nomad houseboat airship
   2. C,mm,n <http://p2pfoundation.net/C,mm,n>
[14]<http://www.autoindetoekomst.nl/website/>,
   Dutch Open Source Car <http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Car> project
   3. DIY Drones <http://p2pfoundation.net/DIY_Drones>, amateur Unmanned
   Aerial Vehicles
   4. EDAG Open Source Light
Car<http://p2pfoundation.net/EDAG_Open_Source_Light_Car>
   5. EVProduction club
([15]<http://evproduction.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page>)
   is an organization with a wiki to design and produce open source electric
   vehicles and complements
   6. Microkopter <http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/>: German 'quadrokopter'
   miniature helicopter community
   7. LifeTrac <http://p2pfoundation.net/LifeTrac>, tractor, also called
   OSTrac, the Open Source
Tractor<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Tractor>
   8. Open Source Battery Project for Electric
Vehicles<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Battery_Project_for_Electric_Vehicles>
   9. Open Bicycle Computer <http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Bicycle_Computer>:
   to show and log data that are important when you are on the road with your
   bicycle
   10. Open Source Green
Vehicle<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Green_Vehicle>,
   an attempt to design an environmental friendly SUV using open source
   principles.
   11. Open Source Hydrogen
Car<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Hydrogen_Car>:
   the Riversimple <http://p2pfoundation.net/Riversimple> project
   12. Open Source Scooter <http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Scooter>, a
   project to make a Segway-type vehicle
   13. Open Source Velomobile Development
Project<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Velomobile_Development_Project>
   14. OSCar <http://p2pfoundation.net/OSCar>
   15. OSCav <http://cair.wikia.com/wiki/OSCav> : open source compressed air
   vehicle.
   16. OSMC <http://www.robotpower.com/osmc_info/> - An open source Motor
   Control project, meant primarily for robotics but applicable to low-power
   electric vehicles and other uses
   17. River Simple <http://p2pfoundation.net/River_Simple>: a platform for
   fuel-efficient cars
   18. Sahkoautot <http://p2pfoundation.net/Sahkoautot>, Electric Cars Now!,
   Finnish project
   19. Transportable Infrastructures for Development and Emergency
Support<http://p2pfoundation.net/Transportable_Infrastructures_for_Development_and_Emergency_Support>:
   7 critical infrastructures
   20. Vehicle Design Summit
2.0<http://p2pfoundation.net/Vehicle_Design_Summit_2.0>:
   aims to create a 4-passenger, 200 MPGe, high-performance industry-standard
   car with minimal life cycle costs
   21. Worldbike <http://p2pfoundation.net/Worldbike>

Also:

   1. How to build a 72Volt electric
motorcycle<http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-72Volt-electric-motorcycle/>
   2. Converting a Mitsubishi to electric <http://www.kiwiev.com/> with step
   by step videos.
   3. Build Your Own Electric
Car<http://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/build-your-own.html>

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is a very small fuel cell.  Hydrogen is clearly the way to go.  Yes,
> nuclear, yes OTEC, yes NG and Methane.  We'll need them all.  Carbon is a
> problem but its one we aren't going to avoid.  So get used to hot.
>
> Saw the latest and greatest solar tiles advertised today.  Main ingredient
> Cadmium.  Not good.  Lifespan was a decent 25 years however.  If science
> could do much better with, say a graphene-derived technology, I could see
> solar playing a role on a decentralized basis.
>
> Ryan
>

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Stan Rhodes <stanleyrhodes at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Did you notice:
>> "The lightweight Smart car-size vehicle uses hydrogen in a modest 6kW fuel
>> cell, and – in the case of this prototype – uses hydrogen converted from
>> natural gas. Hydrogen can also be created from water using electrolysis and
>> potentially even from bio-fuels."
>>
>> Heh, talk about inefficient fuel production.  Quick impressions.
>>
>> Natural gas reformation to hydrogen captures more energy than using
>> combustion to generate power, I believe.  If you have to use nat gas, not a
>> bad way to go, but you're still using a fossil fuel, still generating a
>> bunch of CO2.  Plans have been to pump the CO2 into the ground. No one's
>> sure how easy it is to contain that volume of gas, and if it suddenly
>> erupts, you suffocate everyone around it, like the Lake Nyos incident.
>>
>> Electrolysis is wasteful, although high temp is isn't bad.  Need a lot of
>> heat, and the best way to do that is Gen IV nuclear plants, online around
>> 2030.
>>
>> Biofuels into hydrogen. Sure, you can use biofuels or ethanol to make H,
>> which also produces CO, CO2, and methane.  Plus you need the biol feedstock
>> to make the fuel, which uses fertilizer from nat gas plants.  Biofuel as a
>> mainstream solution has been debunked over and over, and even by the guy who
>> won the nobel for photosynthesis research.
>>
>> Just give the car plug-in batteries until the hydrogen tech's there; it's
>> meant to be a city vehicle.  If the bike-modders going from gas to electric
>> get their hands on the open source designs, we may see the car industry
>> collapse even more rapidly.  Here's hoping these people are serious about
>> open source being free as in beer, as the article states.
>>
>> -- Stan
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> http://gas2.org/2009/06/16/open-source-hydrogen-car-takes-to-the-road/
>>>
>>> Ryan