[p2p-research] Fwd: Dual Licensing of Research in Renewable Energy

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:58:02 CEST 2009

Hi Austin,

May I ask you a very basic question: do we really need royalties?

Let's assume that a company designs and sells electronic circuit boards, but
uses open designs. It still can sell the 'products' with a moderate profit,
and re-invest part of that in its own research, while sustaining an overall
commons with other companies similarly engaged. On top of that, it can keep
a moderate amount of dually licensed improvements, of its own making. This
is what I think happens in the OS world, dual licensing is what the
companies themselves develop, on top of the open commons.

Presumably, there's a problem with such a system for large upfront
investments, but this could for example be supported by grant money for the
public good, as if for example proposed for pharma research by Stiglizt and
others.

If adapt such a policy, don't you largely remove the problems with
monitoring, rewarding etc..., i.e. you just retain it for the marginal
improvements, like it is currently done, while the bulk is done in the
commons and does not need anything but 'acknowledgement and recognition,
which is automatically traceable in open design systems.

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com