[p2p-research] Demystifying solar capacity

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 05:21:28 CEST 2009

I've split this email off to reduce the annoyance factor with
cross-posting.  I wanted to quickly clear up a few things regarding solar
power and units of energy given.  Forgive me, those of you that already know
this, and correct me if I made a mistake, those that know better.  Also,
math is involved to show my work, so you know where my numbers came from.

The output values being discussed are watt-peak output (Wp), meaning output
under ideal conditions, which is useless for assessing real power
generation.  Please see the following Wikipedia links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-peak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_factor

So, we can see capacity factor is the max output (Wp) divided by actual
output, meaning that if we only have the capacity factor and the max output
we should be able to multiply them to determine rough actual output.  I'll
do a quick example.

Look at the capacity factor of the world's largest PV power plants, shown in
the table on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power

Let's use the Waldpolenz Solar Park that uses newer "thin film" PV, like the
cells Nanosolar offers.  Notice how the values are given in DC MW.  To be
more precise, that should be MWp--peak output, not actual.  (Let's assume
the loss from converting DC to AC was included in the capacity factor to
make things easy.)

So, we do the math to determine actual output: 40 * .11 = 4.4 actual MW.
Convert to MWh per year: 4.4 MW * hours in a year (8766) = 38570.4 MWh.
Fact-check the table with that, and we see it's close: 38.5704 GWh/year
compared to 40 GWh/year.

As a rule of thumb, to find Nanosolar's thin-film cell cost per actual watt
output, divide cost per "watt"(Wp) by .11.*  .12 if you're feeling
generous.  Thus, $.30 per Wp actually costs $2.73 per W, or $2727 for a
setup that produces 1 kW on average.

The difference between MWp and actual MW output is the first vital
consideration when looking at solar claims.  The second is probably more
obvious: inherently variable solar (and wind) can't be used to replace
baseload plants like fossil fuel, nuclear, hydro, wood, geothermal, and
OTEC.  While nuclear capacity factors can be steadily improved--and have
been--it's hard to make many gains with solar and wind.  Fission and
combustion are far more steady than the weather.

-- Stan

* Not sure if this is clearer than saying to take the reciprocal of the
capacity factor and multiply by the price per Wp.  So, actual price per watt
= 1/Capacity Factor * price per Wp.  Math would be 1/.11 * $.30 = $2.73
actual price per watt.  Hope this makes sense.