[p2p-research] Open Source Ecology

Smári McCarthy smari at anarchism.is
Mon Jun 15 03:27:49 CEST 2009

Awesome. Although I like the idea of "alternative currencies", I think
there is more inherent value in "currencies"* and we should be focusing
on non-scarce replacements for current monetary systems. That said, I
haven't been doing a lot of work on this recently, mostly due to lack of
stimulus and too many other things going on.

This week I'm meeting with Icelandic government officials on switching
over to free software. This has an estimated government spending
reduction of about 3.1-3.7 billion kronas annually just on licensing
costs, not to mention the increased sustainability and trade benefits.

Apart from that there are motions in action to start a cooperative ISP
in Iceland which aims, broadly, to decommoditise uplink, putting it back
into the infrastructure realm. This is important, because you don't
build systems upon commodities, you build it on infrastructure.
Regardless of your active value statement** you have to admit that value
grows faster when the underlying elements are givens.

Alex: You should drop by Iceland on your way back if you have the
option. The level of madness that could ensue from this would be
spectacular. If not, fair enough, we've got plenty of time.

 - Smári

* "Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proven to
work? Medicine." - Tim Minchin

** Mine is formulating to be: Every increase in redundancy results in a
decrease in requisite effort. More on this later.