[p2p-research] Open Source Ecology

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 03:09:40 CEST 2009

Nice!

I am in Santa Rosa at the moment working on a prototype alternate currency
system with a coop that is working towards the ability to purchase and
manage 'rival goods' for the common good.  I flew here from Amsterdam to
work on the project.  Very fun!

Alex

2009/6/14 Smári McCarthy <smari at anarchism.is>

> Hi all,
>
> I have to agree with Franz here. I thank him for the kind words about my
> most recent rant, but the rant itself highlights a certain problem: I
> am, much like many people here, much better at ranting on endlessly
> about the theoretical points than making good of them on a practical
> level. Whilst the theoretical musings are very very important, if they
> aren't backed up with proof of concept and running code (to borrow a
> phrase) it isn't worth a lot.
>
> Open Source Ecology and Global Villages and so on are really doing the
> gruntwork here. There's lots and lots of running code. What we need to
> do collectively is map out that code, see what's working and why, and
> start mapping our theoretical insights onto proofs of concept. There's
> plenty of things that are working that we don't understand, and there's
> plenty of things that aren't working for reasons that we do understand.
>
> Bridge the gap, people!
>
>  - Smári
>

> Franz Nahrada wrote:
> > Sorry Michel I cant do anything but fly over the messages in P2P research
> > from time to time; the discussion is really interesting (especially I
> > liked Smaris rant about anarchism with many good insights). but for me at
> > least part of the discussion is less important than the practical
> > experiment. I think it is utterly important to rally around common
> > activities or ongoing projects and describe them better. Let us demand to
> > test what really works. It could as belief-blowing as a succesful test of
> > nuclear fusion, and similarily uncomfortable and disturbing even for the
> > enlightened mind. For example, I think we will not have a satisfactory
> > answer to the money problem unless we really put different proposals to
> > work out in regional scale (including what I still would prefer to
> > describe as non-reciprocal gift economies, commons-based contribution
> > economies and other schemes, keeping in mind that really the property
> > question remains n fact central). And we all as different as we are have
> > clearly defined common interest to let such things like experiments in
> > social innovation happen, and at a higher level, we should be able to
> > formulate such an interest and give it political form - and also give
> some
> > part of our energy to the promotion of such experiments. Never before the
> > public ear has been more receptive to such proposals, but I see more than
> > ever before nothing but idiots dominating the political scene who just
> > claim to have a clue to everything.
> >
> > This has to change radically. There is incredible thirst for another
> > anwer. And I hope that we will be able to discuss that soon when we meet.
> >
> > Furthermore and regarding the currently most promising social experiment
> > and its implications, I issued a post on the globalvillages list and
> added
> > a second one to stimulate our communities to take part in the critical
> [...]

Alex
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.- Socrates