[p2p-research] Open Source Ecology

Smári McCarthy smari at anarchism.is
Mon Jun 15 03:03:06 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I have to agree with Franz here. I thank him for the kind words about my
most recent rant, but the rant itself highlights a certain problem: I
am, much like many people here, much better at ranting on endlessly
about the theoretical points than making good of them on a practical
level. Whilst the theoretical musings are very very important, if they
aren't backed up with proof of concept and running code (to borrow a
phrase) it isn't worth a lot.

Open Source Ecology and Global Villages and so on are really doing the
gruntwork here. There's lots and lots of running code. What we need to
do collectively is map out that code, see what's working and why, and
start mapping our theoretical insights onto proofs of concept. There's
plenty of things that are working that we don't understand, and there's
plenty of things that aren't working for reasons that we do understand.

Bridge the gap, people!

 - Smári