[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Addressing Post-Scarcity Pitfalls

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 21:24:34 CEST 2009

Highly unlikely.  I think something like .50 cents a kilowatt hour is more
likely-and that would be cheap.  The price is obviously set against the
standard of nuclear which is almost universally given as 11 cents / kW-h.
Coal is generally set a 5 cents.

The film plastics are going to have all sorts of problems--getting rid of
them is one.  Making them in scale is another.  They will require glues and
epoxies everywhere to be set down.  More chemicals.  More run off risks.

Anything under 25 cents a kW-h is attractive.  So far, solar isn't close.

Nuclear would be about 3 cents a kW-h except for extremely high regulatory
costs.

The simple truth is that all forms of solar decay in the sun.  Plastic will
decay too.  Efficiencies will drop and radiation will play havoc with
electronics.  Solar isn't a very smart idea for large scale applications and
it will wear out far too quickly for economical small scale applications.
Plus you need weird chemicals.

Ryan