[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Addressing Post-Scarcity Pitfalls

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 03:01:27 CEST 2009

Stan, you are right that Lovins' recent work on the macro side is rather
cranky.  But his early stuff on vehicles, on the physics of energy, etc. was
some of the very early serious science on energy efficiencies in a number of
areas.  He is a genius...sadly not of the sort he is trying of late to be--a
macro-theorist.

Micropower (by which he means small production) is growing rapidly, but as
many are starting to note, it is often problematic--particularly
photovoltaic solar.

Nuclear, sadly, has not grown.  The greens have hurt nuclear a great deal
and therefore probably helped kill the planet more than the coal industry.
But they don't understand their error and they mean well.  Nuclear will come
back because it is obvious.  Peak uranium still is a problem...and fuel
reuse can probably extend the total energy available.

And you are right...passive does release energy...but certainly now
electricity.

It is obvious that geo-thermal and the oceans hold the answers.  Energy has
to be shipped via hydrogen or some other small molecule.  Nuclear is the
obvious bridge.  Wind and photovoltaics are helpers--maybe.  It's not that
hard of a problem conceptually...what is hard is execution.  Entrenched
interests in industry and the green movement are big problems.

Ryan