[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Addressing Post-Scarcity Pitfalls

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 23:17:20 CEST 2009

Nick, be honest: before sending that email, did you verify a single fact
claimed by Lovins in that interview?  Did you even try?  Which claim did you
find solid?

Lovins establishes fossil fuels--particularly coal--as the fuel to beat at
the very beginning of the interview.  That may be the only valid point in
the interview.  He then claims that "efficiency" and "micropower" have been
"whalloping" nuclear in the marketplace.  Fortunately, I don't have to write
much on this: these strange claims have already been debunked.  The most
well-known and well-researched criticism of Lovins' claims about nuclear and
"micropower" is here:
http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/2008/07/amory-lovins-and-his-nuclear-illusion.html

While that blog is decidedly and obviously pro-nuclear, Bradish's meticulous
research in dissecting Lovins and Sheikh speaks for itself.  If you want a
"liberal-leaning" source, compare Bradish to NNadir at DailyKos, who has
expert-level knowledge as well, but is far more snarky.  You're better off
with Bradish.

That's the long answer to your question.  The short answer is, and always
should be, "facts."

I don't share Ryan's sentiments about Lovins--I became more and more
disappointed by Lovins' research as I dug into it and attempted to follow
his reasoning and citations.  He had no credibility after I finished Natural
Capitalism, which I read upon recommendation, and wanted to like.  The more
I learned of economics, the worse I found the book, but questioning the
material taught me a lot (as questioning usually does).

I agree with Ryan's response otherwise.  When he says passive solar provides
no energy, I believe he meant electricity (versus heat).

-- Stan

p.s. although I am part of the openmanufacturing googlegroup, the emails are
not set to come to my box.