[p2p-research] The difference between anarchism and libertarianism (Was: Re: Why Post-Capitalism is Rubbish)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:09:12 CEST 2009

I think there is one issue with anarchist theory which is that property now
socially exists, and that you could only coercively abolish it, and the more
levels of property you want to abolish, down to the individual level, the
more opposition there will be.

I think that is the historical problem with anarchism.

Another way to conceive of the same issue is then to ask a different
question, can we 'outgrow' the need for property.

I think that this is really the historical task of the p2p movement and how
it differs from the historical tradition of anarchism. It sets out to
'prove' through really existing p2p production practice, that producing
without property is more productive than producing with property and it is
in the process of proving this in the immaterial field. It is now entering
the stage of doing with design of physical products, what it has done with
software and knowledge.

It is also proving, through social practice, that many things can be done
through sharing or post-monetary exchange (couchsurfing, etc...), in the
physical world itself.

Next step is physical production itself, and I think that this is what
people like Smari should be concentrating on,

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com