[p2p-research] Why Post-Capitalism is Rubbish

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 05:06:59 CEST 2009

Christian, your peerconomy is a market in everything but name.  I've said
it, Stefan's said it.  I don't know if Kevin has read it, but I'm willing to
wager he'd say the same, upon review.  If Ryan reads it, he'll say the
same.  In your proposal, if "the products I want to have cost 20 weighted
hours" (your exact words), I then pay that cost through production effort.
That's exchange, in a market, with units of value!

When Ryan says "allocation of most goods and services," as he did
originally, we can separate them into two groups: rival goods (goods of
substance) and nonrival goods (information).  Services (labour, if you will)
are needed to create both.  I've written about it before, but in very simple
summary: the future of nonrival goods is increasingly p2p production, the
future of rival goods is more equitable markets.

We see exactly that distinction if we look at current examples of peer
production.  The difference is simple: rival goods are allocated by their
very nature, whereas nonrival goods can be used simultaneously by many by
their very nature.

-- Stan