[p2p-research] Why Post-Capitalism is Rubbish

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:21:39 CEST 2009

Christian:

I mean you or your work no disrespect, but literally thousands of highly
trained development economists and related professionals (World Bank, UN,
IMF, etc.) and in NGOs, universities, etc. work on this every day and have
done so for years.  Their collective wisdom is perhaps best embodied in the
following: Reduce corruption.  Encourage small business.  Advance
microcredit.  Create social safety nets for the weak, old and extremely
poor, if possible.  Block exploitation by multi-nationals.  Create clean,
safe resources such as schools, sewage systems, and transportation
networks.  Those strategies work and have been shown to do so.  Most were
seriously contested and took long tests and refinements to be advanced.

Does that mean someone can't innovate or come to radical new solutions?  No
it does not.  But it does mean that legitimate inquiry has relatively few
dissenters right now--the fights are pretty straightforward--does central
aid work? for instance.

In my own experiences, these people are relatively open-minded and are
committed to doing what is best for their stakeholders.  I think those who
believe they have solutions have a duty to convince people who study and
work with these problems every day that they have a serious solution.

In fairness, speak to any energy expert or education expert and you will
hear endless stories of people who have "solved the great issues" and built
machines that run without fuels, etc.  There is a consistent tone to many of
these discussions.  It is that everyone else is naive and that a person has
had a unique and foundational insight unavailable to others.  Perhaps that
happens in this world, but it is rare.  A while ago I thought I had a
profound insight on using a form of ocean energy production to produce
ammonia from sea water.  Turns out it had been mainstream research in dozens
of labs for a generation.  It doesn't mean advances don't happen.  It means
that they happen in collaboration, in part, with experts.  Experts are in
the academy, in fields of practice, and in individual research.  Advancing
on one's own is not likely to be productive in this Age in my opinion.
Profound insights must build on current dialogue and acceptance.  And we
must and should be highly skeptical of new ideas until they are
well-refined, field-tested and considered by many experts who work in the
field.  That is, to my mind, the very idea of peer-review--the original P2P.

Ryan