[p2p-research] Fwd: Abundant Energy?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:28:46 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: Abundant Energy?
To: Nathan Cravens <knuggy at gmail.com>, Sepp Hasslberger <sepp at lastrega.com>
Cc: nick raaum <raaumn at hotmail.com>, "Paul D. Fernhout" <
pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com>, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>

A request for an expert volunteer to present this to our p2p blog:

http://earth2tech.com/greennet-09-presentations/bob-metcalfe/

Bob Metcalfe shows how we can approach internet methods to solve energy
issues.

Sepp: is that something you have time for?

Also fyi, some stuff we have collated on distributed energy on our wiki:

Introductory Articles

   - John Robb: Design and architecture as sustainable platform
building<http://p2pfoundation.net/Design_and_architecture_as_sustainable_platform_building>

"Within resilient communities, we will see the establishment of platforms
that make it easier to grow/sell food, produce/share/sell energy, trade,
share ideas/methods (social software), produce products (fab labs),
collect/share/sell water and much more."

   - John Robb on the Energy
Trap<http://p2pfoundation.net/John_Robb_on_the_Energy_Trap>:
   there is no replacing of fossil fuels by renewables under the current
   economic models
   - Jeff Vail on the Energy
Trap<http://p2pfoundation.net/Jeff_Vail_on_the_Energy_Trap>:
   a detailed investigation

   - Ran Prieur: Sustainability as Complexity without
Growth<http://p2pfoundation.net/Sustainability_as_Complexity_without_Growth>

 [edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Ecology?title=Category:Ecology&action=edit&section=2>
] Distributed Energy

   1. Bill McKibben on Why We Need a P2P Energy
Grid<http://p2pfoundation.net/Bill_McKibben_on_Why_We_Need_a_P2P_Energy_Grid>;
   Jeremy Rifkin on the InterGrid <http://p2pfoundation.net/InterGrid>
   2. Towards a World Wide Web of
Electricity<http://p2pfoundation.net/Towards_a_World_Wide_Web_of_Electricity>.
   Michael Powers.

Status reports:

   1. Global Renewable Energy Status Report
2009<http://www.ren21.net/globalstatusreport/g2009.asp>
   2. 2007 Status of Decentralized Renewables and
Micropower<http://p2pfoundation.net/2007_Status_of_Decentralized_Renewables_and_Micropower>

[edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Ecology?title=Category:Ecology&action=edit&section=3>
] Other Topics

   1. Towards planetary, peer to peer, and green
consciousness<http://p2pfoundation.net/Towards_planetary,_peer_to_peer,_and_green_consciousness>.
   Dale Carrico.
   2. On harnessing collective intelligence for climate
change<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/itgg.2007.2.3.15>.
   Thomas Malone.

Also:

   1. Alex Steffen: To achieve zero emissions by 2050, we have to
start NOW<http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/007879.html>!!

   2. Michael Ben-Eli on the Five Core Principles of
Sustainability<http://p2pfoundation.net/Five_Core_Principles_of_Sustainability>
   3. A Critique of the Stern
Report<http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/issue45/Trainer45.pdf>.
   Ted Trainer argues that global warming cannot be solved at little cost, as
   implied by the Stern report.

[edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Ecology?title=Category:Ecology&action=edit&section=4>
] Policy Proposals
[edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Ecology?title=Category:Ecology&action=edit&section=5>
] Generalities

   1. Herman Daly's 10 Policy Principles for the Steady-State
Economy<http://p2pfoundation.net/Steady-State_Economy>
   2. Cap and Trade Policy
Primer<http://p2pfoundation.net/Cap_and_Trade_Policy_Primer>
   3. Measures for Relocalization and
Reruralization<http://p2pfoundation.net/Measures_for_Relocalization_and_Reruralization>,
   2 times four essential policy principles, as proposed by Mariarosa Dalla
   Costa

 [edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Ecology?title=Category:Ecology&action=edit&section=6>
] Specifics: Energy

   1. Five Policy Solutions to the Climate and Energy
Crisis<http://p2pfoundation.net/Five_Policy_Solutions_to_the_Climate_and_Energy_Crisis>.
   By Richard Heinberg of the Post Carbon Institute
   2. The "centralized" $420b Solar Grand
Plan<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-solar-grand-plan&page=1>of
Scientific American.
   3. Peter Barnes commons-based proposal: Why We Need a Cap and Dividend
   based Skytrust to solve Global
Warming<http://p2pfoundation.net/Why_We_Need_a_Cap_and_Dividend_based_Skytrust_to_solve_Global_Warming>

See also:

   1. Thermoeconomics<http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/20/714422/-Thermoeconomics:-The-Future-of-Life>]:
   scientific pathways to solar energy

[edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Ecology?title=Category:Ecology&action=edit&section=7>
] Specifics: Green Computing

Proposals for Green Computing, by Bill St. Arnaud:

   1. Free Fiber to the Home<http://p2pfoundation.net/Free_Fiber_to_the_Home>
   2. Green Grid <http://p2pfoundation.net/Green_Grid>
   3. Green Broadband <http://p2pfoundation.net/Green_Broadband>
   4. Follow the Energy Computing
Grids<http://p2pfoundation.net/Follow_the_Energy_Computing_Grids>
   5. Bits for Carbon Trading<http://p2pfoundation.net/Bits_for_Carbon_Trading>
   6. Virtualization <http://p2pfoundation.net/Virtualization> as strategy
   for green computing

Overview essay:

   1. ICT and Global
Warming<http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgbgjrct_2767dxpbdvcf>.
   Bill St. Arnaud

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Nathan Cravens <knuggy at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> are channeled into smaller ones to concoct a rather tasty and adequately
> sizable lemonade. In this way, our lemonade is not centralised into a
> large cistern, because we do not drink cisterns of lemonade--but
> instead--formed into one ice cold glass at a time--well that's how I like my
> lemonade anyway--with a taste that's not too bitter, not too sweet.
>
> Oil or coal, from what I understand, does not make for pleasant lemonade. I
> am not suggesting, of course, to power the globe on lemonade--at least
> not exclusively. There's room for alternatives.
>
> Here's what the mind uploaded:
>
> <http://earth2tech.com/2009/06/09/are-commercial-buildings-ready-for-open-source-energy-management/>Are
> Commercial Buildings Ready for Open-Source Energy Management?
>
> http://earth2tech.com/2009/06/09/are-commercial-buildings-ready-for-open-source-energy-management/
> ""
> Picture the lighting and chillers of commercial buildings being controlled
> by a system designed in the same way as Mozilla’s Firefox — through open
> source, the collaborative method of developing software source code. While
> we’ve covered open source-based home area energy management systems<http://earth2tech.com/2009/05/08/acme-wireless-energy-management-goes-open-source/>,
> the OpenLynx project, started by Anno Scholten,<http://openlynx.wiki.sourceforge.net/Open+Source+for+Open+Systems+an+overview>vice president of business development for
> NovusEdge <http://www.novusedge.com/>, is looking to tackle the underlying
> software that controls the energy consumption of massive commercial
> buildings.
>
> ""
>
> When we see a headline that states 'Are Energy Infrastructures Ready for
> Open-Source Energy Management?' we'll be just one more or so step closer
> to addressing for pulverization that energy problem MOST effectively. Then
> we can go on and on about how or what may or may not work until---IT DOES.
>
> Optimizing a building's energy usage, however, is a good start. One chappie
> on this list will particularly attract to this.
>
>  Nick Raaum,
>
> Might you tell us what you've been up to in regard to building units for
> affordable decentralised energy? Does the focus remain on solar steam
> engines? What findings have you made? What's needed to produce a prototype?
> What's it going to cost me?
>
> What technologies can we use today to decentralise energy in spite of my
> Peak Silliness?
> What are the "real" problems to address here? What better questions might
> be asked?
>

> --
> Nathan Cravens
> Effortless Economy
>
> OPEN SOURCE >> AGGREGATE >> INTEREST >> DISCUSSION >> DESIGN OUTLINE >>
> DESIGN >> MATERIALS REQUEST >> FABRICATE PROTOTYPE >> OPTIMIZE
>
> Open Systems Design for Peer Producing Anything

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com