[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Addressing Post-Scarcity Pitfalls

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:47:42 CEST 2009

Michel:

First, let me agree with every point you make below.

With regard to energy, I'd like to make a few comments based on my own
research:

A significant portion of my free time is given over to thinking about
energy--specifically solar energy trapped in ocean water--ocean thermal
energy.  It's an old topic--a physicist in France actually developed the
concept (and bankrupted himself trying to commercialize it) from about
1885-1915.  Its time has finally come I think.

The trouble with energy is that centralized production with distribution is
cheaper than distributed production.  That is, economies of scale apply
rather harshly to modes of production.  Further, that is unlikely to
change.  Therefore, modes of production that concentrate power at one
location are most most efficient.  Even with wind and solar, central
facilities are significantly more efficient than distributed ones by any
logical measure.

My own work and research on OTEC has lead me to believe the long-term
non-carbon answer needs to be a simple molecular fuel that can transport
energy.  Carbon-based fuels are obviously problematic.  Other complex
sugars, and so forth, require significant inputs to create the fuel.  Simple
molecules must be the answer.

The simplest and most obvious is hydrogen, but it isn't the only possible
answer.  Ammonia is also a possibility and there are others.  Fully 1.5%
(one point five percent) of the world's total power is now expended to make
ammonia--most of it goes to grow our food.  By contrast, the current
production of the sea (in all forms of commercial power) is under 20 MW.  To
put that in perspective, the tiny Cayman Islands with a population of 60,000
uses 104 MW at peak.  A medium to large sized US utility may have 30,000 MW
under management.  The island of Jamaica consumes about 600 MW for 4 million
people.  What's more, the sea is 5/6 of the planet.

My conclusion:  Make power from the sea, or you will die by land-based
carbon.  There is only one system for centralized power development at
sea--OTEC.  Further, wind, tide and current systems are variable with
conditions.
If I had to bet now, the future of power involves making large amounts of
hydrogen in geo and ocean thermal production sites and then distributing
energy to land-based hydro plants as they are building in Finland.  These
are efficient, relatively small, and can drive consistent electrical
production at the scales necessary to have an electrically rich world with
8-9 billion people.  They can also be used to make and transport the
necessary ammonia to fuel such an economy with food.

The question is one of here to there.  I don't know the answer to that, but
I'd bet it involves public/corporate partnerships.  It would be nice to see
open modes of research and understanding used, but that will only occur if
civil society gets involved rapidly and protectively to assure that
developing nations have access to OTEC.  My own view is that the nations
that control OTEC/hydrogen/Ammonia will be the Arabia's of the future.

[Michel, I'd prefer these ideas not be blogged without significant editing]

Ryan Lanham