[p2p-research] responding to questions on online labour

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:49:03 CEST 2009

If anyone wants to respond to the following questions,

formulated here
http://turbulence.org/blog/2009/06/04/idc-the-internet-as-playground-and-factory/

for an upcoming conference, http://digtallabor.org

then I would be happy to relay it here:

**

Is it possible to acknowledge the moments of ruthless exploitation while not
eradicating optimism, inspiration, and the many instances of individual
financial and political empowerment?

What is labor and where is value produced?

Are strategies of refusal an effective response to the expropriation of
value from interacting users?

How is the global crisis of capitalism linked to the speculative
performances of the digital economy?

What can we learn from the “cyber sweatshops” class-action lawsuit against
AOL under the Fair Labor Standards Act in the early 1990s?

How does this invisible interaction labor affect our bodies? What were key
steps in the history of interaction design that managed to mobilize and
structure the social participation of bodies and psyches in order to capture
value?

Most interaction labor, regardless whether it is driven by monetary
motivations or not, is taking place on corporate platforms. Where does that
leave hopeful projections of a future of non-market peer production?

Are transnational unionization or other forms of self-organization workable
acts of resistance for what several authors have called the “virtual
proletariat”?

Are we witnessing a new friction-free imperialism that allows capital to
profit from the unpaid interaction labor of millions of happy volunteers who
also help each other? How can we turn these debates into politics?

How does the ideology of Web 2.0 work to deflate some of the more radical
possibilities of new social media?

How can we maintain and enforce the rights to our own gestures, our
attention, our content, and our emotional labor? In the near future, where
can we, personally, enter political processes that have an impact on these
issues?

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com