[p2p-research] More on the Demise of the University...this time from Tapscott and Edge...

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 02:43:19 CEST 2009

Edge 288 - June 4, 2009

(11,675 words)

http://www.edge.org/

This online EDGE edition with streaming video is available at:
http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge288.html

THE THIRD CULTURE

THE IMPENDING DEMISE OF THE UNIVERSITY
By Don Tapscott

In the industrial model of student mass production, the teacher is the
broadcaster. A broadcast is by definition the transmission of information
from transmitter to receiver in a one-way, linear fashion. The teacher is
the transmitter and student is a receptor in the learning process. The
formula goes like this: "I'm a professor and I have knowledge. You're a
student, you're an empty vessel and you don't. Get ready, here it comes.
Your goal is to take this data into your short-term memory and through
practice and repetition build deeper cognitive structures so you can recall
it to me when I test you."... The definition of a lecture has become the
process in which the notes of the teacher go to the notes of the student
without going through the brains of either.

DON TAPSCOTT is the author of 13 books on new technology in society, most
recently Grown Up Digital. He recently completed a $4 million dollar
investigation of the Net Generation. He is Chairman of the think tank
nGenera Insight and an Adjunct Professor at the Rotman School of Management,
University of Toronto.

Ryan