[p2p-research] Life after capitalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:32:01 CEST 2009

I like Umair haque's concept of outcome based business, in which the income
is only significant to make possible the outcome .. Yunus social business
and social enterpreneurship are similar in nature.

I also like the idea of co-ownership between workers and consumers already
expressed in the french book on liberal communism, which I find ethically
superior to consumer-owned businesses as proposed by Patrick Anderson, as
this disenfranchises workers,

Michel

On 6/4/09, Christian Siefkes <christian at siefkes.net> wrote:

> Hi Alex, all,
>
> Alex Rollin wrote:
> > As an example, I just came up with a little business plan.
> >
> >     * We start a little coop to make bicycles.
> >     * We narrow the market to goods that have a naturally regular
> >       ownership transition cycle, where the goods would normally be
> trashed.
> >     * Specifically, we sell the use of childrens bicycles as a service.
> >     * The shop and the bikes are owned by the consumers and producers
> >       together.
> >     * We 'lease-rent' the bikes for as long as needed, and then reclaim
> >       and remanufacture them.
> >     * Over time, the coop's larger mission of stewarding the raw
> >       materials for bike manufacture are integrated.  We buy land for
> >       making rubber, remanufacture tires, steel, whatever.
> >     * We also teach people to be a part of this themselves.
> >
> > This is a pretty simple idea to increase the value of the 'bike
> > mobility' commons, a new 're-enclosed' and relatively open commons
> > (especially if redistributive economics enable those without to be those
> > with).
>
> thanks for sharing your insights into production models based on a common
> pool, which I found very inspiring! I would agree with Michel's observation
> that profit maximization can easily come into conflict with the goals of
> providing use value and contributing to a common pool. Hence I think such a
> cooperative organization as you propose might operate better on a
> non-profit
> basis.
>
> Otherwise I think that such common-pool models can indeed be an important
> step on a way to a commons-based society such as I describe. I've talked a
> bit about how such a transformation might occur in my Oekonux talk
> <http://peerconomy.org/talks/ox4/>, and I plan to expand to that topic in
> the future--in that context, I'll definitively get back to your ideas!
>
> Best regards
>        Christian
>
> --
> |-------- Dr. Christian Siefkes --------- christian at siefkes.net ---------
> |   Homepage: http://www.siefkes.net/   |   Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
> |   Better Bayesian Analysis:           |   Peer Production Everywhere:
> |   http://bart-project.com/            |   http://peerconomy.org/wiki/
> Politics is for people who have a passion for changing life but lack a
> passion for living it.
>        -- Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com