[p2p-research] Collapse

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Wed Jun 3 13:14:39 CEST 2009

I am reading Jared Diamond's book Collapse: How societies choose to fail
or survive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_(book)

An interesting read, which in the section on what we can do to aviod
collapse there are some interesting points re commons and peers.  The
points he makes are;
- If people perceived that the commons, far from being common is
somebody else problem, then they won't act effectively.  But where
people feel a value of the commons and know the impact, they can join an
act more effectively.  So the climate, a commons, but people don't see
it as such?
- Even if people know that an action (e.g. overfishing) may damage a
commons, if the perception is that somebody else will do the damage if
that individual does not anyway (so if fisherman A does not catch the
fish worrying about overfishing, then fisherman B will), they there is a
personal loss to them while there is no change in the overall health of
the commons.  (I have seen examples of this issue being overcome, i.e.
if a fisherman catches a pregnant lobster, it is kept alive and taken to
a holding area to give birth then claimed by the fisherman, but the
young are still in the commons)
- the consumption end is potentially a good force for positive action,
but they would need to be unified to act - a point for peers perhaps?

Anyway, it is an interesting book!

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
Development Director, FluffyLogic Development Ltd.
web: www.fluffylogic.net
tel: 0117 9442233
-
Also see: