[p2p-research] Google's wave ends email?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:44:40 CEST 2009

Yes, it basically allows realtime voice/video or recording integrated with
text or other media in a stream (conversation)--called a wave...as Matt
says.  It is very power as a metaphor and will, as Matt suggests, be quite
open to interface.  Google is closing in very rapidly on being able to
offer a complete suite of virtual cloud computing that is device independent
and open to linkage/service by any number of other systems.  If I were a
Microsoft shareholder, I'd be quaking in my boots.

Google is plowing interesting ground between for-profit and for-service
enterprises.  There is no doubt they mean to make money, but at the same
time, their strategies are extremely P2P friendly and remarkably
non-proprietary.  I think one rational expectation is that a P2P ethos is
starting to pervade their business model.

By contrast, Microsoft's new "Bing" seems to offer some really neat advances
but is being closely linked with other MS proprietary products.  Bing is
very exciting for search, but I predict it will fail for the very reasons
closed systems have always failed...people want APIs and options for
interface on their own terms.  Going to a site designed to pull you into
proprietary linkages is not the future...it's the past.

Microsoft believes it can make money by driving corporate customers to
suites of products.  But what corporate customers want is consistency
with access to free content that more P2P corporations like Google are
driving with YouTube, etc.  We've long since seen corporate P2P (for profit
firms that advance the commons in their own way or make profits off of
leveraging the commons), now we are starting to see P2P corporate
(proprietary R&D being moved in segments to the commons so that the for
profit aspects carry a tone of ethical balance and commitment).

A cynic could say that corporations will always be untrustworthy and that
the cheat will always wait until the most fateful moment.  An optimist would
say that we are entering a new age of openness and sharing while still
recognizing markets and innovation deserve financial recognition where
desired.  The truth is probably somewhere inbetween.

Ryan