[p2p-research] what to think of the market

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jul 31 09:13:41 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> As for abundance, that is indeed a strand on this list, with charles collis,
> nathan cravens, and many on the open manufacturing list ... it's not a
> perspective that I share. On the contrary, I think we will experience a
> powerdown and a return to more moderate material wealth, for a host of
> reasons to do with global warming, resource crises, etc... My perspective is
> immaterial abundance combined with a steady state economy that grows
> sustainably. Yes, this sounds utopian, but is there any other choice beyond
> dislocation of the infinite growth engine?

Sounds *dystopian* to me. :-)

I feel it is a false choice that we either do things the way we are now, or
are forced to change to some lower level of technology.

Just what already exist as off-the-shelf technology, like Nanosolar's
printed PV panels, could give us an amazing infrastructure, because energy
is at the heart of so many issues about sustainability. And there are so
many other possible energy alternatives from biofuels to wind power to even,
someday, fusion energy. Nanosolar type technology by itself alone is likely
scalable to supply all our power needs.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanosolar

The only issue is how soon we do that or something similar. People are
naturally a little hesitant in seeing how well stuff works in practice
before they scale up. Plus, there are so many things in the pipeline, even
when you see a good technology, sometimes you wait to see if something even
better will work out (given we have centuries of fossil fuels like coal).
And then, there are the inevitable bottlenecks and SNAFUs and so on that
need to get dealt with.

Global climate change, while real, is possible to deal with by engineering
and migration. It may be expensive, and a lot of people may not want to
move, but we have a huge industrial base to deal with it, like building
artificial islands, or building new cities in the Russian heartland, and so
on. For example, the global defense budget (more than a trillion dollars a
year) is enough money at $10K per person to build new (small) homes for 100
million people every year. In ten years, that a billion new homes. Clearly,
the resources are there to solve this problem. The USA literally could print
several trillion dollars of fiat currency tomorrow to relocate hundreds of
millions of people into nice new homes or floating islands over the next
decade, and the USA economy and US workers would be better off for building
them (maybe inspired by Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion house design but with newer
materials? :-).
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_house
And that is even without limiting carbon emissions.

Resources naturally substitute in a market. The market may not distribute
wealth well, but it certainly can create it and substitute for it (as long
as external costs are controlled).
   http://www.juliansimon.com/writings/Ultimate_Resource/

There are huge problems we face, but the global world product is about US$60
trillion a year, which is a lot of money to do a lot of things. The real
limits are skilled labor, tools, raw materials, and energy, of course, but
we really, truly, still have vast amounts of all of that, and could easily
have more if we stopped wasting so much on various things (like school,
intended to keep people out of the labor force, or tobacco, or lots of other
junk). The issue is all about the control system, as well as containing
pollution, not the raw materials. Now, we may not be able to resolve those
social conflicts, but social conflicts are not really technical limits, even
as better technology may make some social conflicts easier to solve (like if
we just sucked carbon out of the air with some new technology -- I just read
about something like that the other day).

For me, the only variable is do we have Armageddon before we transform to an
amazing economy, with Armageddon perhaps driven either by accident or
intentionally in brinksmanship by the old guard using post-scarcity
technologies as weapons to prop up their artificial scarcity world view.

Unfortunately, your sentiment contributes to the old guard's justifications. :-(

That's not to say much of our society in general might not *choose* a
simpler infrastructure, including one with less obvious technology using
less obvious energy day-to-day. Ursula K. Le Guin describes such a
civilazation in "Always Coming Home". But, short of a major war, "powering
down" will be a choice, not a necessity, IMHO.

--Paul Fernhout
More on abundance here:
http://www.pdfernhout.net/post-scarcity-princeton.html