[p2p-research] Slashdot | Alan Cox Quits As Linux TTY Maintainer — "I've Had Enough"

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jul 31 00:05:54 CEST 2009

I don't think this situation invalidates a peer production model (including
since stigmeric contributions are different than socially organized ones),
   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stigmergic
but there certainly are several interesting comments about open source
community participation that ring true to me:
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/07/29/1925224/Alan-Cox-Quits-As-Linux-TTY-Maintainer-mdash-Ive-Had-Enough
"After a stern criticism from Linus, the long-time kernel hacker Alan Cox
has decided to walk away as the maintainer of the TTY subsystem of the Linux
Kernel, stating '...I've had enough. If you think that problem is easy to
fix you fix it. Have fun. I've zapped the tty merge queue so anyone with
patches for the tty layer can send them to the new maintainer.'"

One comment poster linked to this topic:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227115.500-humans-prefer-cockiness-to-expertise.html
"""
EVER wondered why the pundits who failed to predict the current economic
crisis are still being paid for their opinions? It's a consequence of the
way human psychology works in a free market, according to a study of how
people's self-confidence affects the way others respond to their advice.
The research, by Don Moore of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, shows that we prefer advice from a confident source, even to
the point that we are willing to forgive a poor track record. Moore argues
that in competitive situations, this can drive those offering advice to
increasingly exaggerate how sure they are. And it spells bad news for
scientists who try to be honest about gaps in their knowledge.
"""

Another linked to this:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
"The Dunning-Kruger effect is an example of cognitive bias in which
"...people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but
their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it".
They therefore suffer an illusory superiority, rating their own ability as
above average. This leads to a perverse result where people with less
competence will rate their ability more highly than people with relatively
more competence. It also explains why competence may weaken the projection
of confidence because competent individuals falsely assume others are of
equivalent understanding. "Thus, the miscalibration of the incompetent stems
from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly
competent stems from an error about others.""

That's certainly something my wife and I have seen a lot of in business
contexts. :-) When you try to be careful or conservative in your estimates,
people often go for the confident sounding people who say it all will be
easy and straightforward, or that key phases (like testing) can be omitted.
Then, down the road, to save face, no one can admit anything and people just
keep pouring money into a problem situation. No doubt that also explains
some of the Iraq war fiasco too (the general who said it would take a lot of
resources was sidelined and replaced with confident sounding people who said
things would be a "cakewalk").

With that said, even the best managers can underestimate something badly,
and sometimes things are much easier than you thought they would be. Or
people good in one area of knowledge may make a big mistake about another
area (e.g. the history of Europe post-WWII. :-)

Anyway, this situation brings up some fundamental issues that peer
production has to wrestle with on a daily basis, though the same issues come
up in hierarchical business production too.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/