[p2p-research] what to think of the market

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:24:32 CEST 2009

Hi Ryan,

I would separate the commons from the abundance discussion.

I think that indeed the commons is poised to become much more meaningful in
the future, as some kind of rallying cry against the domination of
neoliberalism, for all those that do not wish to use, for serious or
opportunistic reasons, older political language ... I seen signs that the
commons may be significant for the most advanced sectors of society ... but
of course, 'emergent', 'growing' not dominant for several decades ...

As for abundance, that is indeed a strand on this list, with charles collis,
nathan cravens, and many on the open manufacturing list ... it's not a
perspective that I share. On the contrary, I think we will experience a
powerdown and a return to more moderate material wealth, for a host of
reasons to do with global warming, resource crises, etc... My perspective is
immaterial abundance combined with a steady state economy that grows
sustainably. Yes, this sounds utopian, but is there any other choice beyond
dislocation of the infinite growth engine?

I think that p2p grows out of the current market economy, from its abundance
if you like (I completely agree with you there), but also that the market
economy needs p2p to continue to exist and thrive, i.e. exactly like the
relation of feudalism and capitalism from the 16th to the 18th century. But
where I differ is though I recognize that neoliberalism is still in power,
its economic model is in tatter, and that after the meltdown, a different
social compact and form of market economy will emerge. 2008 signalled the
objective death of successfull neoliberalism, because all its constituent
elements are exhausted, but barring political struggle, this elite is still
entrenched, as can be seen by Obama carrying out Hooverite policies ...

East Asia is a little different. Whereas the U.S. has exhausted its
financial reserves and is over-extented, here people have excess savings,
and a good chance to experience another period of substantial growth,
although here also, Asian leaders do no longer really trust the neoliberal
model .. they have seen how the U.S. has done the opposite of what it
recommended to them when they were in crisis, and they are extremely
resentful of this. It has effectively destroyed the moral authority of the
U.S.. in that regard. They will increasingly start to follow their own
models of capitalism ... P2P will emerge here later, but at some point,
especially because they are 'behind', they will use it to leapfrog and
inaugurate new models ... They have so much more to gain from distributed
manufacturing, relocalization of smart manufacturing, and open design.

But as you suggest, the cultural aspect is essential .. it takes several
post-material and cultural creative generations, enabled by the new
infrastructures, for p2p to grow as a practice and mentality ... The U.S.
and the countries you mention, are culturally most advanced in that regard,

Michel

--
Work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - Research:
http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - Think thank: