[p2p-research] It's The Economic Paradigm, Stupid! | OurFuture.org

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jul 30 00:25:09 CEST 2009

"It's The Economic Paradigm, Stupid!"
http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2009073020/its-economic-paradigm-stupid
"""
   The economy is terrible. There aren't enough jobs. Most of the jobs that
are still there are not paying enough for people to keep up, and people are
afraid they could lose them tomorrow. So we all have too much debt. We have
too little health care. We have too much stress. And in the bigger picture
we have too little power to do anything about it. ...
   In a June interview on the Lehrer News Hour, Treasury Secretary Geithner
said that they are doing what they need to do to "get growth back on track."
   Back on track? Does he mean we will fish out the remaining fish? Cut the
rest of the trees? Drain the rest of the aquifers? Take the tops off the
rest of the mountains? Does he mean that we will run up the rest of the
credit cards? Will we cover the rest of the land with even bigger houses and
subdivisions and strip malls? Will we export all the rest of the jobs? Will
we hand the rest of the nation's income and wealth over to an elite few?
   I don't think they are going to get things back "on track" by applying
more of the same "solutions" that got us to where we are today. Will they
bail out more companies, making them even too bigger to fail? None of the
fixes will work if the problem is that we have reached the limits of
sustainability of the economic model we have been following for decades.
   So what can we do to change the system itself?  How do we restructure the
model - the economic paradigm - in ways that let We, The People enjoy and
share the benefits of our economy? There are a number of clues that I will
be writing about in my work with Campaign for America's Future.
   http://www.ourfuture.org/
Maybe we can follow the clues and find answers. ...
   When a company replaces a worker with a machine, the company pockets the
wages that would have gone to the worker and the worker is discarded. But
now we are learning that eventually enough workers are discarded that there
is no one to purchase what those workers replaced by machines were making.
So the company and the economy lose, too. This just doesn't work. ...
"""

cited here:

"Mike Elk: GE Promotes Manufacturing Jobs in US, Then Ships 'em Overseas"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-elk/ge-promotes-manufacturing_b_241944.html

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/