[p2p-research] the culture of the audit and the prefigurative politics of the local food movement

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:26:41 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> A minimal amount of regulation, that takes into account the issue of cost,
> is in my view necessary.

Michel, what do you mean that regulation must "take into account the
issue of cost"?

> For example, in the no-trust country where I live, you cannot rely on
> self-declared organic nor on self-regulation of financially interested
> parties; only a form of regulation that involves different stakeholders, and
> perhaps checked by some public authority, would do the trick ...
>
> Unless you live in a village where you know everyone, and you fully trust
> the word of your supplier, could you rely on absolutely non-regulated
> production, in my view,

There is one other case that would put you, the consumer, in ultimate
control *without* external (governmental) audits, but most consider it
taboo.

If you, along with a group of other concerned consumers, co-owned the
Means of that Production, then you would have ultimate (above
management level) control of your portion of the output; and so, could
direct the high-level goals without necessarily having the skills
needed to accomplish those goals.

But that Mode of Production is too efficient, since the Profit we have
been hypnotized into believing should be in the pockets of those
workers would fail to be collected from the consumer - since you, the
consumer, must have already paid all the costs of production before
completion and are left with ownership of the product as a side-effect
of your ownership in the Means.