[p2p-research] Why newspapers are dying...a history lesson.

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 04:17:39 CEST 2009

On 7/27/09, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am increasingly of a mind that this guy is very smart...Umair
> Haque...interesting ideas on how and why newspapers are dying.
>
> http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/haque/2009/07/the_nichepaper_manifesto.html

iTunes abandonment of DRM, and MS's bad experience with Vista, are
already two data points.

I'm hoping AP's latest gambit of threating to sue for any use of their
"content" (even a headline and link) by news aggregators will hurt
them so catastrophically they'll curl up into a fetal position and
whimper at the mere thought of ever trying it again.  A business model
based on suing online news aggregators for linking to your stories
without paying you first?  Sounds like it should be in the dictionary
under "shit for brains."   It's like Sony threatening to sue people
for mentioning the name of an album when they recommend it to their
friends.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism