[p2p-research] "not a commons"....

Franz Nahrada f.nahrada at reflex.at
Mon Jul 27 11:35:06 CEST 2009

p2presearch at listcultures.org / Ryan schreibt:

>> It's purpose is to crowdsource all the weird sites in the world into one
>> open(?) geobase, but it is also "edited."
>>
>> I wonder if this is a commons?  There are .org and .com extensions
>> associated with the site and its creators.  The financial model of the
>> venture is less than clear but the idea of a crowdsourced map is close
>> what Smari seems to be envisioning in some ways.
>>
>> I wonder if the Atlas Obscura framework could be reused?  The
>descriptions
>> of the founders seem to present relatively open minded people if one can
>> judge from such a small description.

and Michel states

>Definitely not a commons, see the ToS:
>
>The website accessible through www.atlasobscura.com (the ?Website?) is
>owned, operated and distributed by JPSF, LLC, a New York limited liability
>company (?Atlas Obscura?). User Submissions are owned by their creators
>and
>licensed to Atlas Obscura. All other content and features available on the
>Web Site are owned by or licensed to Atlas Obscura.

I think this kind of "dispossesing crow(d)sourcing" is even something we
should vigorously fight !!

We never published the story of emporis.com, because the people involved
did not want to risk conflict, but it still stands out as "a lead bad
example for good."

The creators took the work of thousands of people to create enormous
commercial value. They gardened the crowdsourcing well like an oil field.
Big success. I think they "realized" (turned into money)  the commercial
value somehow already.....You researchers should dive ito this case study,
I promise you findings!

Ant they still "grant allowance" for people to throw there enthusiasm and
energy in this: "Professionals from the building industry and people with
a love for architecture are allowed (!!!) to participate in the completion
of information."

http://www.emporis.com/he/mc/

One day - when the rules of the game will finally have changed - this will
be obviously heavily scandalized. The day is not far any more, since the
commons / p2p economy tipping point is in sight. By for now its just the
dream web2.0 story any entrepreneur is dreaming of.

Again this is a case to consider the enacting of the fairware idea - even
for intellectual commons that are turned into commercialized services. It
will fill the gap between amateur and professional world that we are so
heavily suffering of and which distorts the p2p meme in public.

Franz