[p2p-research] Fwd: OpenStuff/Fairware

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 20:29:15 CEST 2009

There is a new pop site getting a lot of play that sort of reminds me of
what is being discussed here.  It is called Atlas Obscura:

http://atlasobscura.com/

It's purpose is to crowdsource all the weird sites in the world into one
open(?) geobase, but it is also "edited."

I wonder if this is a commons?  There are .org and .com extensions
associated with the site and its creators.  The financial model of the
venture is less than clear but the idea of a crowdsourced map is close to
what Smari seems to be envisioning in some ways.

I wonder if the Atlas Obscura framework could be reused?  The descriptions
of the founders seem to present relatively open minded people if one can
judge from such a small description.

Ryan