[p2p-research] debate on open agriculture

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 05:09:32 CEST 2009

As a matter of fact, Havana and Shanghai produce a majority of their
vegetables, and China's urban population meets around 85% of its
vegetable needs through rooftop and vacant lot gardening.

Kevin,

do you have any sources on this?

I heard 60%, but I cannot believe that contempary shangai would still allow
this, there are hardly any rooftop gardens left ...

On sam's excellent food site, only available after registration, I saw
estimates that local food production could move from 5 to 25% of the food
supply but not more,

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com