[p2p-research] Mali's Gift Economy — YES! Magazine

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:03:54 CEST 2009

I'd just point out that Mali is a poster child for corruption in
Africa...often ranked as one of a very few most corrupt nations on earth.
I'd strongly suspect the "gifts" are often a rationalization for corrupt
processes.

The Peace Corps has been there a long time but sends very few people because
the corruption is so difficult to overcome and the social groups (tribes)
that make up the nation are highly separated and very devisive...I don't
know about dama, but I've known Peace Corps folks who love and work hard in
other jobs in Africa who have told me Mali is a version of hell on
earth...poor treatment of women (e.g. a leader in female "circumcision"),
very corrupt processes, serious intergroup (tribal) violence, etc.

There are many means and modes of collective action and sharing in Africa
including local insurance schemes against AIDS in Kenya, etc. that are very
understudied.  Maybe dama is part of those ranks.  Association with Mali
certainly suggests it should get more scrutiny before it is moved into the
"ideal" column, in my opinion.

Ryan