[p2p-research] Mali's Gift Economy — YES! Magazine

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jul 24 14:43:17 CEST 2009

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> In 2005, people in the U.S. gave
> $260.28 billion to non-profits and charities, and 61.2 million
> volunteered, with each person giving a median of 52 hours per year. ...

I've been reflecting on this figure of time "volunteered", and I think it is
biased low in a way. It may be accurate in terms of time formally
volunteered to non-profits and charities, but the gift giving landscape is
larger than that.

If you consider time parents spend with children as a "gift" the children
will then pay forward into time with their children someday, then the gift
economy in that sense is much larger.

Likewise, if you included time people spend taking care of older relatives
as gift time, that volunteer time is much larger too.

Also, if you include time spent giving friends or neighbors advice in the
course of conversation (advice about anything from gardening to
relationships), then that figure for time volunteered is larger too.
Granted, some of that advice giving is sometimes eventually reciprocal, but
rarely on a one-to-one per comment basis.

And then there are the growing movevements for free and open source
software, blogs, and wikis, which are all gifts in a way.

And, to turn an aspect of industrial capitalism on its head, you could even
argue all the time spent in schools or in front of advertisements is
volunteer time that people are spending to make the system work in
supporting its corrupt and unpleasant way. :-) Also, since intellectual
labor is hard to quantify, and many services can be performed at varying
levels of quality without people noticing or changing their payments (how
many inventions a salaried researcher produces at a big company, how clean
tables or toilets are in restaurants, how helpful salaried sales clerks
are), there are other aspects of the formal economy that are essentially
gifts to customers by individual employees on a day-to-day basis with any
long term benefits hard to quantify.

So, I think that 52 hours a year per person spent "volunteering" in the USA
is way too low.

I'd suggest, that if you consider all of the above (especially parent-child
time) as gifts, the gift economy in the USA may be much larger than the
money economy in terms of time and energy spent in it.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/