[p2p-research] if you have time ...

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jul 24 04:34:26 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> it would be nice if you could discuss this,
> http://campfire.theoildrum.com/node/5473, for our blog
>
> it has a neat list of job we should loose, vs. job we should gain ...
>
> nice fodder for meditation,

That essay on voluntary simplicity,
   "A Message to the Nearly Converted",
  http://campfire.theoildrum.com/node/5473
while very interesting making lots of excellent points about modern society,
has some of the same issues in its proposed solutions that the one on local
agriculture has, or another one posted to the open manufacturing list about
someone living in a cave that I commented on in this thread:
"True Post Scarcity Practitioner"
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing/browse_thread/thread/fc612c10352908ef/1121a6f118f1440b

First off, in this essay, there is some mention in passing about someone
raising their own chickens and building a coop. We do that too. It takes a
lot of materials to build a coop for a few chickens, and chickens can
devastate a small yard pretty quickly. While chickens don't require much
labor day-to-day, building a coop and fenced yard (to prevent predation)
does take a lot of labor. And to periodically cleaning a coop takes some
labor, and a bunch of wood chips from somewhere, and water. It is cheaper
and easier to buy organic eggs in a store if this is not something that is
fun for you otherwise (although, granted, if you treat the chickens well,
they will likely have a better life at your home than in even organic
farms). Anyway, I use that as one example of a throwaway item where the
proposal is both using both more labor and more physical resources in an
alternative lifestyle than using network resources. There may be good
reasons to have your own chickens in some situations (including for eating
slugs in your garden), but using less resources is unlikely to be one of
them in most cases (unless you are content to let many die from predation
and do not overwinter them as we do).

Anyway, as in the cave essay, the person pointing out problems with the
mainstream lifestyle may be quite correct, like negative externalities of
pollution. But, rather than reject all advanced technology, which seems
implicit in part of the essay (but not all, as I mention later) an
alternative strategy is just to improve our high tech processes. We can
rethink how we make things so they are more recyclable, or we can improve
our energy supply with more renewables like solar or wind so we have the
energy to recycle even a mixed waste stream easily by a plasma separation
process, or we can  improve robotics and automation so they can separate out
a mixed waste stream to reduce energy consumption for recycling at lower
temperatures. Anyway, there are essentially high-tech approaches that we
know how to do (or could if we tried). The fact that we don't try much
reflects a basic market failure based on not accounting for external costs.
A few laws about accounting for such external costs might improve recyclable
packaging, for example, and do more for the environment that buying in bulk
in plastic tubs.

Here is a core part of that essay: "Let me give you an example of our old
ways coming to an end. General Motors just went bankrupt. Residential
developers of suburban sprawl and mega-malls are going bankrupt too. Why?
Because our economy is part of the finite planet Earth and we have reached
some hard limits. Oil production is in decline and this means GM can’t keep
building Hummers that will fill garages in dwellings miles away from work
and schools and basic goods and services. Ecological debt yields financial
ruin. Ways of life fade away."

There is some truth there, including on changing ways of life, but overall
it is wrong in some ways too. General Motors went bankrupt because of bad
management, bad product design decisions, an inflexible infrastructure, the
lack of a national health care system paid for by taxes, and a union
philosophy that focused on jobs for union members as apposed to a basic
income for all humans and actively resisting reducing working hours through
innovation. There is a mention of peak oil theory and hard limits there, but
the fact is, we have just as many iron molecules today as we did a hundred
years ago (ignoring a few we sent to the moon). We are not running out of
iron -- just perhaps the ores we are used to using to get it. If we can't
bother to mine our landfills, that is just stupid. On energy, the stone age
did not end because we ran out of stones, and the oil age will not end
because we run out of oil. We could run big Hummers on synthetic fuels from
coal (at an environmental cost and a health cost) or we could run them on
green fuels from algae, or we could run them electrically from solar and
wind power. We have lots of choices (even if Hummers are generally silly
cars to own, dangers to themselves and other vehicles, promoted in part
because of a silly tax policy allowing certain "trucks" to be expensed by
businesses quickly but not cars).

While the essay is right that collectively we are trashing the planet, and
that consuming less slows this, ultimately it is a failed philosophy,
because slowing your descent into a volcano still leaves you falling into a
volcano, just more slowly. If you consume at half the typical US standard,
or even one tenth (and I'd expect that family is at half), that is still a
slow motion disaster. I have little doubt the author would use advanced
medical care in hospitals if the author's family needed it, or that the post
was written using a computer and the internet, or that the essayist owns a
car or truck, or that their house has synthetic materials in it, and so on.
Until we have more comprehensive recycling and improved design, consuming
less doesn't help in the end. It may even hurt in some ways, because people
may think they have solved a problem when they haven't, and they may be
disengaging from an economy they could help out in some other way (like
demanding and choosing greener products or laws to regulate pollution and
other external costs of manufacturing). And the general doom and gloom about
peak oil and catastrophe just adds to that, when we already have solar and
wind technologies that are claimed to be cheaper than coal.

Now, there are lots of ways that essayist is doing good stuff, or at least
the soccer mom they cite who went greener. They feel better. Their kids are
happier. They are likely eating better. They may have more personal
security. And so on. And they are reducing the unaccounted for external
costs of the mainstream US way of life. I don't want to discourage that kind
of change. I applaud that, both for the personal happiness and for making a
statement, same as I applaud the enlightened person experimenting with
living in a cave.

But I'm suggesting it does not get at the core of fixing unsustainable
aspects of our society the way that, say, solar energy research or wind farm
installation does. But they do list related jobs in that list of jobs to
gain, each of which is about improving our networked infrastructure, so
obviously, they are promoting the bigger picture. I'm just suggesting there
is some sort of disconnect between the voluntary simplicity movement (as
good as that may be at reducing external costs) and the networked
infrastructure transformation movement. There is an assumption they are
connected, when actually, they may not be very connected, even if they may
spring from the same consciousness. And, to the extent people won't, say,
raise their own chickens, I can wonder if implying they should do so may
undermine the larger infrastructure transformation needs, like instead
making sure egg cartons are easily recyclable or the eggs are produced by
happy local chickens by peers using organic feed?

Another point from the essay: "A special class of non-governmental
organization is involved in paying back our ecological debt. These are the
local environmental centers. I strongly encourage you to join with them on
various projects that could make the difference between a healthy versus a
dystopian future. The big question I have is this: How are we going to
restore and manage local watersheds and ecosystems in this new economy? For
example, will a switch to renewable energy mean greater use of wood, and
will that decimate the forest or be done with ecological wisdom? Might the
jobless hunt for meat and will cause the local extirpation of game or be a
healthy, sustained harvest. And I wonder, as people can’t afford trash
disposal services will they dump in creeks and at the edge of fields more
and more? Who will watch and restore the creeks and clean up the mess others
leave behind?"

In the "Planet Earth" video series, a point is made near the end that the
remaining large wildlife can only be conserved by people local to it, and
only if they are prosperous enough to be able to do it (rather than poach to
feed their families). If people retreat from the mainstream economy to let
it collapse, rather than transform it into something better, in practice, we
may well see more destruction of the environment. I live in one of the most
rural areas in the US North East (the Adirondack Park) and there are still
people who dump trash in ravines to avoid paying a $5 annual fee at the
recycling center (or maybe because it is more convenient as the recycling
center has limited hours?). So, I can walk a few hundred yards to see the
very problem that author speculates about. A wealthier local town just would
have less of that, I suspect. So, things like a basic income (Social
Security and Medicare for all in the USA, not just the elderly or disabled)
may be a way to salvage aspects of a networked economy to bring general
prosperity, which can then lead to more respect for values beyond immediate
economic survival, stuff like aesthetics or stewardship. Such values may
sometimes seem to be luxuries to people out of work by an industrial complex
that does not need more workers as it continues to automate and become more
efficient from better design. But, many people around me already live the
way the author outlines out of necessity not virtue, and they do the
dumping, so that route towards poverty has the very pitfalls the author
worries about. The author does not address that core issue (like brought up
in 1964 in the Triple Revolution memorandum about the breaking link between
jobs and a right to consume). Abundance gives us a lot more options that
poverty. Voluntary simplicity is not the same as involuntary simplicity. A
well-designed elegant efficient sustainable infrastructure is not the same
as no infrastructure (or a poor infrastructure). A right to a share of
industry you can direct to make extremely green products is not the same as
making less green products at home. Sure, if the infrastructure is broken,
trying to use it less is virtuous, but ultimately, the infrastructure needs
to be fixed to be greener and more equitable. The author admits to this,
saying: "Making the necessary changes society-wide requires engagement
beyond your home and neighborhood."

Anyway, to summarize, reducing consumption reduces negative external costs
of production, but it does not eliminate them totally. Only a rethinking of
our manufacturing infrastructure (and how the resulting wealth gets
distributed) can fix that completely. This article seems to confuse the two,
and that has been a long standing problem with the environmental movement.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/