[p2p-research] what to think of the market

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:56:51 CEST 2009

Hi Michel,

I suppose on further thought that you are right.  I should have said
that markets propel or accelerate innovation--not that innovation
requires markets.  Even my lesser assertion might be debated as well.

To my mind markets are a great good (much like a commons) that leads
people to challenge themselves, deliver what is demanded and to dream
of better ways.  Maybe those things can happen without profit or
markets, but the innovation of the market was a profound social
advance and one that occurred very broadly across a number of complex
civilizations.

Interesting that the market and the commons physically often occurred
in the same or similar spaces.  Fernand Braudel I suppose was the
clearest in tracing out the essential role of markets in paths that
led out of feudalism--markets that often were taken as a common good
to the cities they served.

To me, choice is a worthwhile social good.  Choosing a spouse, a home,
a city, a way to dress, the books and articles I wish to read...all
that choice to me derives largely from the advances of the social
ideas of the market.  It is perhaps humanity's greatest innovation
even if it does not cause innovation.

Ryan

--
Ryan Lanham