[p2p-research] devastating story on cradle to cradle founder

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jul 23 15:40:57 CEST 2009

Kevin Carson wrote:
> On 7/21/09, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/130/the-mortal-messiah.html?page=0%2C0
>>
>> This is also a very interesting story to cover for our blog, as it shows how
>> the proprietary approach has made the project of cradle to cradle production
>> fail,
>
> "...the architect said, 'I want to be the Bill Gates of
> sustainability,' and [that] he wants to make a royalty off of every
> green standard and every green product out there."
>
> This just about floored me, because the vibe I'd been picking up from
> the whole article was "Bill Gates."
>
> The technologies that save the world will be those that ordinary
> people can adopt for themselves at low cost, without paying royalties
> to some greenwashed billionaire.

This seems like an essential part of the article:
   "Green Guru Gone Wrong: William McDonough "
   http://www.fastcompany.com/node/1042475/print
"""
For those who came to know McDonough from within the environmental and
design movements -- those whose labors rarely reach the ears of Laurie David
-- an alternative narrative exists about him. Until now, it has been
shielded from the mainstream for two reasons: First, McDonough has done more
than most to popularize the very idea of cleaning up the world, and for
that, even his detractors agree he deserves thanks; second, if word gets out
that he may not be all that he appears, the overall cause of sustainability
could suffer. "He's been incredibly important and valuable in this role as
visionary," says Auden Schendler, executive director of sustainability at
Aspen Skiing Co. "The problem is that sometimes the theorists like McDonough
will represent themselves as practitioners, and that's where the guys in the
trenches get frustrated."
"""

And also this:
"""
McDonough desperately needs to break the logjam that has stalled him. Just
as the global fixation on sustainability is exploding, McDonough's design
revolution is paralyzed -- and he is the paralyzing agent, unable to
capitalize on his brilliant, crucial idea, but unwilling to set it free.
Last year, Environmental Building News deemed McDonough's cradle-to-cradle
certification a "black box": "You can see what's going in and what's going
out, but you're not privy to exactly what's going on inside the process,"
says Nadav Malin, the trade journal's editor. In truth, among MBDC's 160
certifications, virtually the only consumer brands are the U.S. Postal
Service and Kiehl's -- the latter of which Brad Pitt helped push through as
a charity product for his foundation. Critics argue that McDonough's work is
not transparent or consensus based, and that because he sometimes consults
for companies whose products he's also certifying, the whole endeavor is
conflicted, if not unethical. "All the money stays in one place," says Tim
Cole, director of environmental initiatives and product development at Forbo
Flooring, and treasurer of the USGBC. The impression that emerges, says
Cole, is, " 'Hey, if you want your product certified cradle to cradle, just
go to McDonough, pay your price, and it will happen.' I think cradle to
cradle will either have to get better or become a thing of the past. You
have to evolve with the movement." McDonough is trying. His latest strategy
involves, once again, opening up the work to the public -- this time to
develop MBDC's materials database Wiki-style.
"""

Because I was involved with organic food certification in the 1980s, I can
see the value of certification in general, and know it can be done
reasonable ethically (though in theory there could in theory remain issues
with cosy boards made up of farmers certifying each other, though that is
not what I saw in practice). I've long thought, for example, one could apply
the certification idea to free and open source software in some way (people
demonstrating a knowledge of copyright issue to get certified as producing
stuff likely to be uncontaminated by proprietary stuff). I like the idea of
applying certification to manufactured goods. So, I like that aspect of
cradle-to-cradle whatever else one could say about who gets any profits from
certification (in practice, if done by a non-profit, these certification
processes may be run at just about cost with little profit).

It seems like there are at least two big failure modes in being an activist,
neither of which is either to avoid in a new area a long time before it
becomes mainstream.

One failure mode is outlined here for William McDonough and relates to the
celebrity worshiping winner-take-all economic culture we have constructed
for ourselves. It is where you try so hard to push an idea, yet you still
need money for living expenses, that, in a quest for right livelihood, your
public persona becomes the idea and your finances become the idea. People
often like to be around celebrities, and when you become one in the process
of promoting an idea, it gets hard to put in lots of footnotes as to sources
in everything you say (even if you may start out wanting to and doing so).
And as you get your presentations down, and as the ideas become more of
yourself, the roots may fade away, maybe even to the point where you believe
in the originality of it all yourself. And if you are the kind of person
good at taking ideas and making them your own and presenting them in
innovative ways, and so on, chances are you are not a "scholar" to begin
with (with frequent footnotes, cautious pronouncements, careful caveats,
etc.). Part of the failure mode is that you may start to annoy everyone
whose work you build on, people who also would also like a bit of the
limelight (and the funding,  give the lack of a basic income), and you may
come to believe your own hype. This is the rock star failure mode. Another
aspect is over confidence (the New Yorker just had an essay about that and
financial markets and Bear Sterns, given appearing optimistic leads to more
support.) There is another aspect, too. You can see it in music too as well
as visual arts -- people just making more of the same that pays and then
burning out from boredom and fear of taking risks and seeming foolish
(including wanting to hide failures). Once people have been heavily rewarded
for doing one thing, it can be hard to go back to joyful roots and
experimentation including documenting failures (since most experiments will
be failures, being tolerant of failure is an important aspect of being a
researcher, something Hans Moravec has said). Bucky Fuller had aspects of
this rock star failure mode too (for example, the issue of who invented the
tensegrity idea), although he also made genuine contributions in his own
way. Nicholas Negroponte and the OLPC project suffered some of this too.

But there is an opposite failure mode (one I'm more enmeshed in myself. :-)
That is the one that leads to cynicism and inaction and pessimism and
focusing more on some minor aspect of infrastructure (or even wishful
thinking) than getting out a message in an effective way. Also, as the years
go by, you can become bitter and twisted and defensive as a person, having
fought one emotional and intellectual battle after another, until everything
is a conflict, everything is an assumed failure, every person is assumed to
be unsympathetic, which of course also becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy,
because who wants to hang out with bitter or timid or critical people. It's
also a sort of "learned helplessness" like Martin Seligman studied,
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness
where for example, an experimenter shocks a dog every time it tries to walk
over part of a floor towards its food dish, and pretty soon the dog curls up
in a corner and stops trying to get across the floor even as it starves.
Even after the experimenter drags the dog across the floor to the food, the
dog remains dysfunctional. For me, after about twenty years of being
interested in a sustainable design system, but being at places where it was
of little interest (I tried to get a PhD related to it at four different
universities in the late 1980s and early 1990s, as well as start a related
business),
   http://www.pdfernhout.net/sunrise-sustainable-technology-ventures.html
   http://www.pdfernhout.net/princeton-graduate-school-plans.html
and not having the talents or experiences or connections or interests or
starting capital or willingness to focus (or compromise) that William
McDonough had, I'm more in the second category, the hungry dog that won't go
over to the food dish that it is staring at. :-)

These of course are exaggerations; real people, with real lives, and real
families, of course are more complicated than prototypical rock stars or
helpless starving dogs. All people have strengths and weaknesses, and there
are even situations where weaknesses become strengths, and strengths can
become weaknesses. :-) But there is still an element of truth to both
extremes as risks for any activist.

So, it's very heartening to see the people posting to the p2presearch list
or the open manufacturing list or many other places, people who may be more
new to these ideas, but who see them differently -- as stuff that is
happening now, but without the baggage of either having made a living off of
them for a decade or two, or *not* having made a living off of them for a
decade or two. :-) A new generation shows up with the same hope and
enthusiasm and openness that William and I started out with, but I can still
hope more comes from it now in a global and open way. That article is
hopeful about these ideas as a movement, mentioning someone who "knows more
than 100 sustainability executives".

And as I said about my overly ambitious graduate school plans: "The good
news is that now, twenty years later, all or most of the hurdles have fallen
that otherwise needed leaping before being able to comprehensively design
self-replicating space habitats, and all the computer and informational
resources I thought I needed then are now available for cheap or free. For
example, for only a few thousand dollars, I have the equivalent of an early
1990s supercomputer in my office with terabytes of storage and a high speed
color scanner and a network connection and access to Google and Wikipedia
and so on. So, what I outlined in the 20th century is more and more doable
in the 21st century for less and less cost. So, item 13 (the major goal
[self-replicating and self-reliant habitats]) is now approachable without
needing to do much on the other prerequisite items listed."

Still, my own complaint about the copyright and secrecy issue is that
Appropedia (which I am not affiliate with, but is similar to my OSCOMAK
project in some ways), did not win the first Buckminster Fuller challenge
when William McDonough was one of the judges. Was there a sense that an
excellent free project like Appropedia would compete with his business?
   http://www.appropedia.org/Welcome_to_Appropedia
   http://challenge.bfi.org/application_summary/149
   http://challenge.bfi.org/jurors

OSCOMAK also did not get the prize the next year, either. :-)
   http://challenge.bfi.org/application_summary/362#
In both cases, specific projects were chosen for the challenge winner, not
general tools for helping anyone be a better designer. Of course, there
could be lots of reasons projects were not chosen (see my second failure
mode above. :-)

But, it is often the case that even non-profits, with boards made of people
successful in the current system, work against an open and abundant future
for all. For example:
   "The NED, NGOs and the Imperial Uses of Philanthropy: Why They Hate Our
Kind Hearts, Too"
   http://www.counterpunch.org/roelofs05132006.html
"""
If the source is confusing, the message is usually clear: "democratization"
strives for civil rights and elections, but it also must include an open
door to foreign capital, labor contracts, resource extraction, and military
training. These networks also define "civil society" to include rock
concerts and street mobs, but not government-provided maternal health
clinics, child care, or senior services.
"""

See, there's the learned helplessness bitterness coming up again of my own
failure mode. :-)

Anyway, I still have a lot of sympathy and respect for the guy. He's a human
being trying to navigate a difficult transition from a competitive
capitalist economy to a post-scarcity globally abundant society while also
looking to his personal survival. It's not an easy situation for anybody to
be in. And everyone makes mistakes.

People doing this sort of work openly as a hobby, or who do this work as a
retired person with a basic income from social security, or a person who has
inherited wealth, or one who has a working spouse who likes his or her job,
or one who works at a grant-funded non-profit or government agency or
university with support to work on sustainability issues, are on much safer
ground to avoid one of these two extremes. Although each of those comes with
baggage to:
* hobbyists often have limited time;
* retired people have less energy;
* inherited wealth usually comes with a world view and also guilt and
enmeshment in things-as-they-are;
* stay-at-home parents have other responsibilities or the spouse may not
like their job and complain about money issues;
* people in a university setting are ofter "Disciplined Minds";
* government agencies tend to hierarchical solutions that are politically
directed; and
* non-profits are sometimes more about getting grants (including changing
their programs to meet grantmakers criterion) than using the grants in an
innovative or risk-taking way.

There are no easy answers to this. But, still, bit by bit, we seem to be
crawling towards some better solutions. From Winston Churchill:
http://history-and-education.blogspot.com/2008/10/churchill-on-america-and-brief-research.html
"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have
exhausted all other possibilities."

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/