[p2p-research] Kolakowski is dead...

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 17:03:26 CEST 2009

One of the key aspets of p2p governance I think, is to engineer 'abundance'
i.e. free choices, where-ever possible, thereby enabling productive
participation without necessating intenstive deliberations by any groups ...
this deliberation itself also becomes mostly technical, itself also open
mostly to the contributory process ... But never totally, as
linux/debian/apache have all different arbitrage mechanisms ... I'm not sure
if this was a learning experience from the often failing, because too high
treshold, participation processes required in sixties/seventies style
efforts ... It seems that p2p groups want to avoid this high treshold
discussions opting for the efficiency that is determined by their
object-oriented sociality i..e whatever productive cause that made them
rally in the first place

Michel

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> yes, pluralism both in the economy and governance is necessary to avoid any
>> kind of totalitarianism, including a p2p one ... Imagine the world rule by
>> wikipedia admins ..<g>
>>
>> Michel
>>

> Funny.  That WOULD be a catastrophe...
>
> It wasn't but a couple (or a few) years ago that Wikipedia as governance
> model was extremely popular in graduate school discussions.
>
> The future of organizations is low participation, low linkage, high
> capacity for customization.  P2P helped write that agenda.  Wikipedia was a
> step toward the low impact governance we're tending toward.
>
> Ryan

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com