[p2p-research] debate on open agriculture

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:46:48 CEST 2009

On 7/16/09, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Centralization actually is quite efficient without qualification.  What
> follows below is a different set of political goals than efficiency which is
> typically taking as greatest output at lowest net cost.

> I agree with all of this again.  But it isn't going to happen if the primary
> social driver is efficiency.  You need to establish political systems that
> value full employment, low consumption of energy, etc. for some clear gain
> in comparative terms to how those gains could otherwise be achieved.

The problem is, there's no such thing as generic efficiency.  There's
efficiency in terms of whatever input you're considering.  Mechanized
agribusiness is more efficient in terms of labor at the point of
production, but less efficient in terms of output per land input.  And
I believe that if all labor inputs are considered in a make or buy
comparision, including the costs of marketing and distribution,
centralization is less efficient in overall labor (as opposed to labor
at the point of production).

One of the problems with American-style economic centralization and
mass production is (as Waddell and Bodek point out in Rebirth of
American Industry and Lovins et al riffed off of pretty effectively in
Natural Capitalism) that it maximizes efficiency at each separate
stage of production, without regard to how it affects the overall
production flow.  And the resulting sea of in-process inventories in
the factory, the warehouses full of finished goods, and the inventory
in the millions of "warehouses on wheels," more than make up for the
savings from those "efficient" machines that achieve their
"efficiency" by being run 24/7 to minimize unit costs regardless of
whether there's an order for their output.

Borsodi gave the example of the Minneapolis flour mills, which were
marvels of unit cost minimization and ROI, but required a product
designed to sit on the shelf for months without losing nutritional
value (because it had none to start with), because of the long
distribution time.  Compared not just to the actual milling stage
alone, but to all costs in the entire
production/distribution/marketing process as a whole, milling flour
from wheat berries in your own electric mill is far more
cost-effective.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism