[p2p-research] a challenge to social media enthusiasm .. what say you, league of noble peers

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 14:11:01 CEST 2009

Michel,

What you include below doesn't surprise me at all; in fact, I've experienced
it first hand several times.  By the way, I think it is equally true of open
source ventures where I have noted an extreme capacity for organizations to
harbor the socially mal-adept, cynical, crypto-elitist and otherwise
self-serving ego-driven types as an overwhelming majority.  As we both have
some first hand experience and since it is a obvious target, it is easy to
visualize a personality profile of, say, Richard Stallman.  One finds
numerous deontologists, etc. in these domains and if these folks entered
paradise they'd complain about the rules.  In short, judgmental people are
drawn to organized commons.  They are contentious, combative, highly
self-certain and almost always judgmental.

It doesn't take a PhD in psychology to realize that many of these people are
expressing power and control in areas where they can do so because they are
maladjusted to conventional social frameworks.  But it does open the
question as to why altruism and selflessness do often occur--and when and
where.

While I have no data to match this Israeli study, my own experience is that
those most committed to public good simply act on it and don't spend so much
time debating their role, how others should act, or what the governance
model is.  They aren't flamboyant about their service.  They simply just do
it.  They are pragmatists.  These are likened to "the spiritual" in
faith-based terms.  And then there is what I can only identify in my own
views as the religious.  They are all about the structure, their position,
the judgment, what is a crisis and what is the solution...and not so much
about the actual doing of something.

Ryan Lanham