[p2p-research] The difference between anarchism and libertarianism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:28:26 CEST 2009

2009/7/16 Stefan Merten <smerten at oekonux.de>

> Hi Smári!
>
> IYou need to have political means to maintain the
> commons. That is pretty obvious [1]_.
>
> .. [1] Though political means to maintain the commons seem to be
>       rejected by Michel by some reason. Michel prefers to replace
>       the lack of politics by money. Or in other words: Michel
>       prefers to replace conscious decisions by an abstract
>       machinery.

Stefan, this is really an absurd statement. Are you even vaguely aware of my
work, which is political through and through. See
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Politics and
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Policy and
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Governance.

I would really prefer if you do not repeat the earlier falsification that
led to our unnessary debate about money, based on your total
misinterpretation. Don't start this same process again, PLEASE!!!!

> But also I know that anarchism relies on virtues like equality [3]_,
> which are void in peer production because they are overcome. So, yes,
> some anarchist virtues are useful for peer production. But no they
> have not been introduced there by a political program but because they
> just emerged.

Are you claiming that current peer production overcomes equality, or a
future full p2p society?

If it this is the former, then this is obviously wrong, as current peer
production simply ignores it as a externality. If you can't earn a living,
you can't contribute, and you don't exist... there is no mechanism for
solidarity in current peer production, which can now only come from the
market or state. This will persist until we have mutual aid mechanisms in
place, which again, require equitable exchange in the non-peer production
sphere.