[p2p-research] debate on open agriculture

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 08:52:49 CEST 2009

Hi Ryan,

Do you think Chinese shrimp farms will still be exporting to Florida
restaurants when oil is at $400 ...  It seems to me you are assuming a
linear development of wealth creation and ignoring the grave resource
challenges that countries like China will be facing very very soon ...

I can tell you that already here Asian leaders are talking about the end of
this type of globalization and refocusing on Asian economic integration . ..

I don't think the choice is one between continuing business as usual and
pastoral regression, but one of developing renewable energies, smart organic
agriculture, and significantly relocalized production logics to take into
account resource and fossil fuel depletion.

But clearly, assuming that China and India and other countries will reach
our level of consumption, and hoping that the extra 3 planets needed as its
required resource basis will be found, doesn't sound very realistic to me,

Michel

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com