[p2p-research] Economic View - The Invisible Hand, Trumped by Darwin? - NYTimes.com

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Jul 14 14:56:23 CEST 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/business/economy/12view.html?_r=1&em
"""
   If asked to identify the intellectual founder of their discipline, most
economists today would probably cite Adam Smith. But that will change.
Economists’ forecasts generally aren’t worth much, but I’ll offer one that
even my youngest colleagues won’t survive to refute: If we posed the same
question 100 years from now, most economists would instead cite Charles
Darwin. ...
   In Darwin’s framework, then, Adam Smith’s invisible hand survives as an
interesting special case. Competition, to be sure, sometimes guides
individual behavior in ways that benefit society as a whole. But not always.
   Individual and group interests are almost always in conflict when rewards
to individuals depend on relative performance, as in the antlers arms race.
In the marketplace, such reward structures are the rule, not the exception.
The income of investment managers, for example, depends mainly on the amount
of money they manage, which in turn depends largely on their funds’ relative
performance.
   Relative performance affects many other rewards in contemporary life. For
example, it determines which parents can send their children to good public
schools. Because such schools are typically in more expensive neighborhoods,
parents who want to send their children to them must outbid others for
houses in those neighborhoods. [Or families can step out of that "two-income
trap" bidding war and homeschool elsewhere. :-)]
   In cases like these, relative incentive structures undermine the
invisible hand. To make their funds more attractive to investors, money
managers create complex securities that impose serious, if often
well-camouflaged, risks on society. But when all managers take such steps,
they are mutually offsetting. No one benefits, yet the risk of financial
crises rises sharply.
   Similarly, to earn extra money for houses in better school districts,
parents often work longer hours or accept jobs entailing greater safety
risks. Such steps may seem compelling to an individual family, but when all
families take them, they serve only to bid up housing prices. As before,
only half of all children will attend top-half schools.
   It’s the same with athletes who take anabolic steroids. Individual
athletes who take them may perform better in absolute terms. But these drugs
also entail serious long-term health risks, and when everyone takes them, no
one gains an edge.
   If male elk could vote to scale back their antlers by half, they would
have compelling reasons for doing so, because only relative antler size
matters. Of course, they have no means to enact such regulations.
   But humans can and do. By calling our attention to the conflict between
individual and group interest, Darwin has identified the rationale for much
of the regulation we observe in modern societies — including steroid bans in
sports, safety and hours regulation in the workplace, product safety
standards and the myriad restrictions typically imposed on the financial sector.
   Ideas have consequences. The uncritical celebration of the invisible hand
by Smith’s disciples has undermined regulatory efforts to reconcile
conflicts between individual and collective interests in recent decades,
causing considerable harm to us all. If, as Darwin suggested, many important
aspects of life are graded on the curve, his insights may help us avoid
stumbling down that grim path once again.
"""

While this is progress in economic thinking, as my wife points out (we both
have ecology and evolution graduate training), there are many aspects to
modern evolutionary thinking beyond natural selection of individuals and
survival of the fittest (varying units of selection across genes, cells,
organisms, groups, and species, the importance of random drift, the role
co-evolution, cooperation, and symbiosis plays in evolution, and so on).
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution#Mechanisms

So, while this is a step forward in economic thinking, it would be nice to
see economics embrace all of ecology and evolution, not a simplified cartoon
version.

Also, it would be a fair criticism of regulation, like Richard Wolff suggests:
   http://www.capitalismhitsthefan.com/
that the regulation process is often taken over by the one being regulated,
who often has the money to buy favorable legislation. So, regulation is not
a panacea for deep structural social problems relating to not accounting for
external costs. Openness in designing and decision making may still be
critical issues.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/