[p2p-research] internet blackout in Urumqi

Smári McCarthy smari at anarchism.is
Wed Jul 8 03:23:35 CEST 2009

Important statistics here are the relative number of Internet users in
Iran versus China, the number of entry/exit points for Internet
connections, and the user demographics.

Consider that Iran is very much comprised of young liberal people while
China's Internet users are largely upper class business people; while
both of these statements are over-generalizations, they emphasize that
the difficulties involved in censoring Irani traffic are vastly greater
than those involved in censoring Chinese traffic, both for social and
technological reasons.

As for the Taliban controlling information flow, yes, certainly, but
their methods were (and are) very rudimentary: ban people from reading
anything informative, shoot people found with cellphones and laptops,
and so on. It wouldn't keep people from talking, but it would be a lot
easier to control the chatter. Nowadays Afghans in risky areas hide
cellphones and laptops in the women's bedrooms (as the Taliban won't
search there), and actually the Taliban themselves are starting to use
cellphones to organize themselves. One of the weirdest things I've seen
was a Taliban standing by the roadside seemingly writing a text message.

 - S