[p2p-research] Local currency issues & post-scarcity (Re: present and future)

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Jul 4 16:35:21 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
 > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Thomas Greco <thg at mindspring.com> wrote:
 >
 >>  The Schumacher Society has been very successful in getting publicity and
 >> mainstream support.
 >>
 >> The particular method of issuing Berkshares, however, is not very
 >> empowering (sold for cash; redeemed for cash). But they are gaining
 >> acceptance of the idea of alternative currencies and paving the way for more
 >> empowering things like mutual credit clearing and currencies that are SPENT
 >> into circulation based on solid ability of the issuer to redeem it in kind.
 >>
 >> The Swiss WIR is the model that comes closest to optimum empowerment, but
 >> that, too, needs some improvement.

The alternative local currencies I've seen (Ithaca HOURS), often local
businesses accept some 10% of so of the amount of regular dollar purchases
as the alternative currency. In a way, this functions as both advertising
for them (that they accept them) and local lock-in of consumers (if you have
such currency, that is the place to go to get some conventional products for
it). Other people may take mixes of amounts, like 50%.

Example, from a more recent local currency:
   http://www.berkshares.org/directory/dir_alphabet.htm
"""
Please note that stores may have specific restrictions concerning the uses
of BerkShares at their business, and that some of these restrictions may
differ from those listed here. Please ask for details when you purchase from
a store using BerkShares.
"""

Example, with Ithaca HOURS, with a different justification:
   http://www.ithacahours.org/faq.php
"5. Why don't all member businesses accept 100% HOURS for purchases and
services? Most businesses have economic relationships that extend beyond the
local community, where Ithaca HOURS are not accepted. These businesses must
take in U.S. currency to do business with suppliers outside of the HOURS
system. We ask merchants to calculate a rate of HOURS acceptance that is
proportional with their ability to put them back into the local economy."

But some places may take entire payment in them, but expect it won't be a
big part of their income:
   http://cornellsun.com/node/23743
"""
ABC Café owner Ken Hallett says that his business, which accepts full
payment from customers in Hours, has profited from Ithaca Hours. “I think it
brings in some people who have them and might not come here as often if they
didn’t have them,” Hallett said. Hallett uses his Ithaca Hours revenue to
pay his employees and provide them with benefits, as well as to buy items
for the café. If he has any Hours left over at the end of the year, he
divides them among his employees for their holiday bonuses. However, Hallett
says that only about 5 percent of the business in his restaurant is
transacted in Ithaca Hours.
"""

It is not clear to me how much this bridge to mainstream currency is
significant in defining the value of such currencies? Maybe it is not?

Even with Ithaca HOURS, it looks like there is an aspect of money as debt:
"""
10. How do new HOURS get into circulation?
1. New HOUR notes are issued as disbursements to those who pay for a listing
in the directory.
2. New HOUR notes are issued when Ithaca HOURS makes loans to participants
or gives small grants to community organizations.
3. A limited number of HOUR notes are issued to help cover basic system
expenses, such as printing new currency and office supplies.
"""

I like the idea of local currencies, especially from a perspective of
decentralization and escaping dysfunctional global financial hierarchies to
a degree. Still, I see local currency as essentially about increasing local
abundance from a classically libertarian / fiscal Republican perspective (at
least the aspect of that ideology that argues hard work leads to abundance).
And there are many issues such a perspective does not address.

Local currencies don't address facts like:
* that not every one can "work" in a conventional sense,
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disability
* that work may not even be the right way to organize an abundant society,
    http://www.whywork.org/rethinking/whywork/abolition.html
* that things like child care or community involvement are generally not
recognized as productive work at the societal level,
    http://crookedtimber.org/2009/02/02/feminism-and-basic-income-revisited/
* that money as debt has structural collapse issues among others,
   http://www.moneyasdebt.net/
* that easy availability of debt has driven up consumer prices and driven
down wages,
   http://www.capitalismhitsthefan.com/
* that many individuals might be more productive with social things like
access to health care that may be beyond their individual capital to afford
an a personal investment:
   http://medicareforall.net/
* that the flip-side of currency is theft (the other side of the coin) and
thus any currency imposes a social cost on society as a way or organizing
production:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_is_theft!
* that two-income families have bid up the cost of homes and college,
    http://www.amazon.com/Two-Income-Trap-Middle-Class-Mothers/dp/0465090826
* that economic transactions have externalities not reflected in the
peer-to-peer transaction price (negative ones like pollution, or positive
ones like increasing social connectedness),
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality
* that most informational commons connected to the internet function most
effectively as a gift economy without obvious transaction costs, or
   http://www.thepublicdomain.org/
* that capital affects industrial productivity in a very inequitable way
that breaks the work-to-income link (by driving down the value of labor
relative to capital, since increasing technology makes capital -- what money
can buy -- even more productive as a replacement for labor through better
design and improved automation).
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Revolution

This is not to be against local currencies. It has been said the US American
revolution (celebrated today) was mostly about the right to have local
currencies:
   http://www.xat.org/xat/moneyhistory.html
"""
During a visit to Britain in 1763, The Bank of England asked Benjamin
Franklin how he would account for the new found prosperity in the colonies.
Franklin replied. "That is simple. In the colonies we issue our own money.
It is called Colonial Script. We issue it in proper proportion to the
demands of trade and industry to make the products pass easily from the
producers to the consumers. In this manner, creating for ourselves our own
paper money, we control its purchasing power, and we have no interest to pay
to no one." America had learned that the people's confidence in the currency
was all they needed, and they could be free of borrowing debts. That would
mean being free of the Bank of England. In Response the world's most
powerful independent bank used its influence on the British parliament to
press for the passing of the Currency Act of 1764. This act made it illegal
for the colonies to print their own money, and forced them to pay all future
taxes to Britain in silver or gold. Here is what Franklin said after that.
"In one year, the conditions were so reversed that the era of prosperity
ended, and a depression set in, to such an extent that the streets of the
Colonies were filled with unemployed." "The colonies would gladly have borne
the little tax on tea and other matters had it not been that England took
away from the colonies their money, which created unemployment and
dissatisfaction. The inability of the colonists to get power to issue their
own money permanently out of the hands of George III and the international
bankers was the PRIME reason for the Revolutionary War." By the time the war
began on 19th April 1775 much of the gold and silver had been taken by
British taxation. They were left with no other choice but to print money to
finance the war. What is interesting here is that Colonial Script was
actually working so well, it became a threat to the established economic
system of the time. The idea of issuing money as Franklin put it "in proper
proportion to the demands of trade and industry" and not charging any
interest, was not causing any problems or inflation. This unfortunately was
alien to the Bank of England which only issued money for the sake of making
a profit for its shareholder's.
"""

This is just to suggest that local currencies don't fix a lot of deep issues
related to technology and society, even as they may increase local peer
production. I'll agree there is truth to the libertarian / fiscal Republican
perspective to create abundance from hard work in small businesses (and
local currency helps with that) -- but it is only part of the truth in a
complex economic system. For all the fact that alternative currencies sound
New Agey and Leftist and Green and Progressive, they really are fiscally
conservative at the core.

Celebrating alternative currencies reflect a bit of a Protestant work ethic,
even when trying to look at work from other religious points of view:
   http://www.smallisbeautiful.org/buddhist_economics/english.html
"Equally, to strive for leisure as an alternative to work would be
considered a complete misunderstanding of one of the basic truths of human
existence, namely that work and leisure are complementary parts of the same
living process and cannot be separated without destroying the joy of work
and the bliss of leisure."

Contrast E.F. Schumacher's point above with Richard Bolles's ideas about
integrating learning, work, and leisure into unified experiences:
   "The Three Boxes of Life and How to Get Out of Them: An Introduction to
Life/Work Planning"
   http://www.amazon.com/Three-Boxes-Life-How-Them/dp/0913668583
"Argues that three stages of life -- education, work, and retirement -- have
become three boxes for learning, achievement, and leisure."

Fiscal conservatism, at least the aspect that local currency reflects, while
full of truths, is less and less a big part of the truth it a society moving
toward a post-scarcity future (as one by one, artificial scarcities are
worked around). Ultimately, if fiscal conservatism is not understood for its
limits in regard to the points I mentioned above (plus other limits relating
to other aspects of the larger ideology), it leads to using post-scarcity
technology to create artificial scarcities, since the basis of
currency-based commerce is to get somebody to want something that you
control the distribution of, and then you can stand between that person and
what they want and collect a toll and put the money in a box. Given we now
have post-scarcity technology in our hands, the easiest way to enforce tolls
is ironically to use post-scarcity technology to do that (whether RFID in
cars or password protected electronic funds transfers of Ithaca HOURS using
computers that will soon be able to do most jobs, as Marshall Brain talks
about in Robotic Nation or Manna).

In that sense, local currencies are *misleading* about the most pressing
issues of a transition to a post-scarcity economy, IMHO. Our economy has
changed significantly in character since July 4, 1776, due to a variety of
interacting changes like improved designs and a better understanding of
materials, better automation including robotics and AI, the spread of the
internet, and also from huge externalities (both positive and negative)
given our huge productive potential. Those changes are continuing in an
accelerating way. So, our approaches to rethinking economics need to change
to. Again, my objection is not to local currencies by themselves, as they
can be helpful; my objection is to not seeing them in the larger context of
a transition to a post-scarcity society.

It may be best to see local currencies as a bridge to aspects of a
post-scarcity society, by improving the balance of a society from a very
hierarchical financial system back toward a mix of grass roots meshwork and
smaller hierarchy. That's a great thing. But it is not enough by itself to
address a lot of pressing issues.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/