[p2p-research] Fwd: More on the Supply and Demand Curve

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 03:14:09 CEST 2009

Robert,

I could not find a source connected to your quote and claim that 'most
economists still cling to the “infinite wants” idea.'  If that was the case,
I would expect to have run into it by now, and I would also expect abundant
examples of that assumption.  Does any serious economic literature from the
last, say, 30 years mention the concept as foundational?

Lack of evidence aside, I don't think refutation of infinite human wants
changes anything.  No infinite variables are required to cause a problem
with the allocation of finite resources.  In other words, we need to only
want to do something that will kill us in a few years (completely regardless
of whether we can foresee it or not), and have the means. From an economic
viewpoint, the concern is external costs in our transactions. Infinite-ness
never enters into the concern.  In other words, infinite-ness was never the
problem of "doom by externalities," and revealing finite bounds doesn't
eliminate the problem, either.

My current perspective: the reduction in information asymmetry resulting
from an information commons presents the best chance humanity has of
reducing negative externalities in transactions.

-- Stan