[p2p-research] Fwd: More on the Supply and Demand Curve

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jul 2 17:40:54 CEST 2009

Michel Bauwens wrote:
> thanks for this great and insightful contribution, which I have slated for
> the 6th.
>
> As you know, I have no design skills <g>, so I'm repeating your appeal for
> an illustration on this list. Can you describe very clearly what you need.

Just the same graph as in Wikipedia with the curve shifted over a bit to the
left and down to touch the X and Y axis.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

OK, so I downloaded some free software (Inkscape) and made a new version of
that, derived from the Wikipedia source. :-)

It is here:
   "The Supply and Demand Curve, if demand is ultimately limited"
   http://www.pdfernhout.net/Supply-and-demand-limited.svg

Where the demand curve touches the Y axis is labeled "Poverty", where the
demand curve touches the X axis is labeled "Demand Saturation", and where
the supply curve flattens is labeled "Abundance" with a cornucopia spiral. I
hope the SVG renders well for others, especially with the translucent sections?

One can move up the supply curve by increasing productivity, or, one can
lower the demand curve to bring abundance at a lower level of productivity
by voluntary simplicity.

Demand is only defined by economists as demand by people with money, so
global abundance would require some sort of social equity process like a
basic income, or widespread local charity, or widespread widely distributed
ownership of local means of flexible production (like "hyperproductive" peer
production or self-replicating 3D printers).

Here is the reason for choosing a spiral for abundance, related to a Native
American tradition:
   http://www.marcinequenzer.com/creation.htm#The%20Field%20of%20Plenty
"In our Seneca Tradition, the Field of Plenty is seen as a spiral that has
its smallest revolution out in space and its' largest revolution near the
Earth. This shape could be likened to an upside-down tornado. When our
Ancestors assisted the Pilgrims in planting Corn and raising crops so they
would not starve, we taught them the understanding of the Field of Plenty by
bringing the cornucopia baskets full of vegetables. The Iroquois women wove
these baskets as a physical reminder that Great Mystery provides through the
Field of Plenty. The Pilgrims were taught that giving prayers of gratitude
was not just a Christian concept. The Red Race understood thanksgiving on a
daily basis. The Field of Plenty is always full of abundance.  The gratitude
we show as Children of Earth allows the ideas within the Field of Plenty to
manifest on the Good Red Road so we may enjoy these fruits in a physical
manner. When the cornucopia was brought to the Pilgrims, the Iroquois People
sought to assist these Boat People in destroying their fear of scarcity. The
Native understanding is that there is always enough for everyone when
abundance is shared and when gratitude is given back to the Original Source.
The trick was to explain the concept of the Field of Plenty with few
mutually understood words or signs. The misunderstanding that sprang from
this lack of common language robbed those who came to Turtle Island of a
beautiful teaching. Our "land of the free, home of the brave" has fallen
into taking much more than is given back in gratitude by its citizens.
Turtle Island has provided for the needs of millions who came from lands
that were ruled by the greedy. In our present state of abundance, many of
our inhabitants have forgotten that Thanksgiving is a daily way of living,
not a holiday that comes once a year."

> Here a contribution on the same topic of limiting demand, by Roberto
> Verzola, our in-house abundance expert:
>
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/roberto-verzola-finite-demand-makes-relative-abundance-possible/2009/01/31
>
> Roberto Verzola: Finite demand makes relative abundance
> possible<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/roberto-verzola-finite-demand-makes-relative-abundance-possible/2009/01/31>
> [image: photo of Michel Bauwens]Michel Bauwens
> 31st January 2009
>
>  A very *important contribution to abundance
> theory<http://p2pfoundation.net/Abundance_vs._Scarcity>
> * by Roberto Verzola<http://rverzola.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/finite-demand-makes-relative-abundance-possible/>
> :

That's very insightful, and much more concise and eloquent than my post. :-)

Now that you point it out, I can wonder if I saw it before and forgot about
it, it is so similar in scope? So, maybe my comments on this topic are all
inspired by Roberto's?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/